16mm versions of super 8 400' cutdowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16mm versions of super 8 400' cutdowns

Does anyone have a list, or can enlighten me as to how many of the 2 reeler super 8 400' cut downs had an equivalent 16mm version ?

The reason I ask is that at the time of posting this, one of our forum colleagues is selling a 16mm version of Madigan (800') on Ebay which, I assume, is the same version of the super 8 release ?

Did only certain companies commit to 16mm versions, or was it just random releases? Was there any pattern at all ?

Just a thought!

Universal released 16mm cutdowns Melvin which the Madigan 800ft is one, there are a few titles out there, I'm sure Universal produced a catalogue showing what's available but I know Earthquake, Change of Habit, Charley Varrick and a lot of the Sci Fi and Horrors were released that were the same edit as the super 8 releases, Mark

Comment

Just to throw an observation into the ring, I have seen recently on Ebay 16mm 400' versions of Disney 200ft cutdowns. Generally speaking I believe them to be silent. This always struck me as quite surprising as I thought Disney would be the last company to put up their product on 16mm for the home market.

Comment

I have got five Universal 16mm 800ft digests, all in their original Pink/White/Blue boxes:-

8001 The Birds
        8106 Dracula
        8107 Psycho
        8121 The Mummy's Tomb
        8133 The Old Fashioned Way

However, as I haven't got the same titles on Super 8, I am unable to make comparisons.

Comment

[QUOTE=Martin Davey;n36401....I thought Disney would be the last company to put up their product on 16mm for the home market....[/QUOTE]

Disney did not enter the home market with 16mm sound.

However, they did have a large 16mm Educational Division which kept schools supplied for many years with shorts. These were mostly edited versions of their longer films, both animated and true life.

Comment

Indeed. I have quite a few Disney educational films. Regarding the cutdowns, one of the 16mm titles (silent) I saw listed was 'Island at the top of the World'.

I have just checked on ebay and its still for sale. Would this be for educational use seeing as its silent?

DISNEY ESCAPE FROM ASTRAGARD 16MM COLOUR SILENT 400FT CINE FILM RARE | eBay

Comment

It looks like a pirate copy from a Super 8 release.
              Disney Educational Productions had various logos which clearly indicated their use for education.

Disney Educational Productions - CLG Wiki (miraheze.org)

Comment

Working...
              X