Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor query

Hi,
    Can anyone enlighten me on which capacitor to use in lieu of a 700dcv .005uf 'TCC' cap? What would do the job instead, because I can't find the same cap anywhere. Thanks!

Hi Patrick,

Definition I found for "TCC" is Temperature Coefficient of Capacitance" : there is probably a number after this label.

This is a small capacitor for 5nf (nanofarad) : 0.005µf = 5nF, so it is NOT polarized.

Voltage limit is 700V, you can take 1000V if you want. What is component filtered by this cap ?

Normalisation is 502 K (K means +/- 10%) for your component. I assume also a 630v will fit too.

Any technology available will fit (Ceramic, polypropylene, polysester, etc...).

I you have any doubt for how it is used, you can post a picture of capacitor installed

Additionnal Info:

Capacitor technology was not very advanced in the past, so to limit possible leakage, manufacturers increase voltage range of capacitors (Ex : you can find caps at 1500V in former radio sets...).

So check voltage applied to your cap : if you find 220V , a 450v will be enough.

Last edited by Phil Murat; June 21, 2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Hi Phil, thats great, thanks very much. The cap is from the old Bell & Howell 613 projector, and I assume it just kicks in the motor, (the projector is silent).
      The cap has no number as such, apart from a patent number, and is probably from around 1961. I am getting a reading of.033 from it, which I assume is too high? Anyway thanks again. I am learning!

Comment

Patrick
        It may just be a suppression capacitor which you can remove. It's unlikely to be a starting capacitor in such an old projector.
        If it has three leads it was for suppression on radios and TV sets.

Comment

Thanks Maurice, no it has only the two leads, like an axial cap, can't seem to get a photo of it at the moment to load, but its a straightforward tin cap, no polarity , about 55mm x18mm. I just assumed that it was there to kick the motor in!

Comment

Patrick
            Suppression capacitors were connected across the two mains leads with its third lead going to an earth terminal.
            I suggest you isolate its connections and see if the motor will run OK.
            If, so do away with the capacitor.

Comment

Okay thanks as always Maurice

Comment

Slightly off topic but a help i hope.
                one of my Pathe Vox sound projectors did the same thing 30 years ago but you can turn the inching shaft to start it. We couldn't get the Cap for the motor then although you make up the correct caps to the spec needed. I didn't bother as it will run with a bit of a twist.

Comment

Working...
                X