Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this 'tension meter' for 16mm and possibly 35mm use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this 'tension meter' for 16mm and possibly 35mm use?

I wonder whether anyone has come across one of these, as I haven't! An ebay seller thinks it's for film use but doesn't otherwise know anything about it. I'm guessing it could possibly be to (e.g.) check gate pressure, by seeing how much weight is needed to pull down static film during a test. That's a test that's certainly referred to in Eiki service manuals. But I could be wrong and so I'd be grateful if someone could possibly confirm what it's supposed to do.

I'm just wondering how you would test the gate pressure with this Adrian, as the spring tension is enclosed, this is to test spring tension surely, as this would hook around the metal finger in the middle part..........

Comment

Perhaps for adjusting film tension to and from spools?

Comment

Paul - my guess that the metal part that encloses the finger is a protective feature, and when in use this can be swung round so that it points in the opposite direction. If that's possible, and you can use it to pull down film below the gate, then it might be fine for such a test. That doesn't mean that it was necessarily designed for use with film/projectors, although the seller offers quite a few belts, etc, for projectors, and something has caused him to think that's what it's for.

I suppose a relevant question is what would a professional projector engineer have used for such tests. I obtained a spring balance to try and attempt them, but a device such as the one above is more compact and possibly more practical, if it works!

Maurice - that sounds reasonable to me too. I wonder if any service manuals state what this ought to be in relation to particular projectors?

Comment

I use a salter spring gauge to do some of the checks on my elmo cl 16mm, but as this has chinese writing on it, i suspect its comes along time after any projector was made, perhaps for weighing rice or drugs might be more closer to the mark.......

Comment

I have bought the exact same model from eBay some time ago - the looped metal part does fold so that it is opposite the sprung part. I have suspended a known mass from the end and it's quite accurate I have to say. On the one I bought I always thought that there should have been a little thing on the sprung end to protect possible film damage. The end of the sprung portion just looks as though something should be on the end of it, although it may have been made like that to prevent anything hanging on it from falling off.

Comment

Daniel - thanks for this information, which encouraged me to buy the last one the seller had, so I'll be able to try it for myself quite soon.

Comment

Working...
              X