Bauer P8 TS Universal semi rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bauer P8 TS Universal semi rebuild

Discovered in the back of a garage, covered with dirt and damp was a Bauer P8 TS Universal Magnetic/Optical sound projector in need of a whole lot of love which later turned into a semi rebuild.

We did get to a point where it was running then the shredded drive belt of the pitch tooth type literally fell apart due to the poor storage the machine had suffered of some 20+ years. Thanks to the guidance of Maurice I soon ordered a new belt which are readily available and this was received just a week later. In the mean time I gradually stripped 50% of the projector down to clear away quite a bit of rust which had taken root on the sprocket and various hidden parts also fully lubricating it and replacing a couple of parts on the amplifier. Then the new belt arrived!

This is another machine which is really quite accessible to work on and a relief when you first take the back off. To replace the toothed belt you remove the white fan, cooler housing and can relatively easily slip the belt under the still frame gear to mount the belt on its two drive wheels all taking around 15 minutes.

These toothed belts are made to a certain pitch so it is important to get the right one for the machine.

I finished with a full clean down also coating the plastic guides with Silicone on a cotton bud which will help protect the film from scratching during projection. Probably spent 5 days getting this up and running but nice to save another machine from the recycling centre.

They also made the HTI Metal Halide 400W version among others I believe P8 T400 (sounds like at Terminator film) Would be nice to see one of those one day...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	a proj 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	43925

Click image for larger version  Name:	a proj 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	43926

Click image for larger version  Name:	a proj 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	43927

General parts: Main toothed drive belt is produced in Germany and the rewind arm belts manufactured are British made.

Very nice projector! Here is an interesting web page about Bauer P8 16mm projectors (in german) full of information and technical documents.

http://www.olafs-16mm-kino.de/bauer_p8.htm

Comment

And a video. Not the same model but gives you an interesting insight.

Enjoy.
      Price for this machine in 1985 was well over £1000 back then.

Thanks for that link Renzo for the text info as well, will be of help to someone else in the future I am sure.
      Last edited by Lee Mannering; October 08, 2021, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Always thought they were handsome machines, very reliable by all accounts - and how fitting that you resurrected it from the dead this close to Hallowe'en!

Comment

This is my P8 I bought more than 10 years ago. The only issue I had was to change only one capacitor in the amplifier board.

Comment

Great to see and also the appreciation for perhaps a neglected model of 16mm sound projection which probably sat in many education venues.

I'm wracking my brains trying to remember the brand of projector I gifted to a friend back in el day but it looked exactly the same and made by Bauer as they out branded machines a fair bit.

I liked the good quality zoom lens supplied with this model (I have a few spare) and pleased to resurrect it although far from expert with this model.

We did run a pretty damaged film with splintered perforations and the 4 pin claw handled it very well in the Bauer.
            Need to study up on this machine to learn more about the inner workings...

The quality of Magnetic replay is probably the best I have heard in 35 years or so bearing in mind the magnetic strip on my films is 30+ years old in the first place and somewhat aged. The old 16mm max width has stood the test of time and really does sound nice on the old home movies on this machine.

Comment

Lee, you probably refer to the "Aldis" projectors, they were Bauer rebranded models.

Comment

Actually "Rank Aldis". I have two of them including a Bauer P8L Universal Professional.
                Rank Aldis (Bauer) Automatic 16mm Sound Cine Film Projector & Speaker ~ WORKING | #276448155 (worthpoint.com)

Comment

Vaguely remember it being called something like Magnon. Bauer did do a great deal of out branding.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                    Actually "Rank Aldis". I have two of them including a Bauer P8L Universal Professional.
                    Rank Aldis (Bauer) Automatic 16mm Sound Cine Film Projector & Speaker ~ WORKING | #276448155 (worthpoint.com)
                    Philips also sold a rebranded bauer 16mm projector

Comment

Working...
                    X