Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New B&H in my fleet.

Dear All,

I recently purchased another projector (3rd this year, no more) as I wanted to learn more about dismantling a B&H TQ3. I do have a turquoise 1698 with new worm gear that I got from a chap in the Netherlands, but wanted a scrap machine to take apart and learn how to deal with possible problems in the future, and leave the 1698 well alone.
    I can deal with Elfs but TQ3 apparently use 4 times as many parts. I purchased for £50 a black 1695, and quite a late one with a solid flywheel, single rear roller, and a recess in both arms, that did power up but not run. Normally a 50mm lens it came with would cost that amount on Ebay, and I did not have one of those. In addition it came with a Filmovara zoom attachment which was interesting but I don’t plan on using it. The machine did power up but the motor did not activate. The main lamp did work as did the sound optics.
    It did need some cleaning up anyway as it had been stored poorly in a shed with the top covered with ‘white poo’ from spiders etc, and surface rust on the metal cover catches. I cleaned these and dusted/ cleaned down the innards which appeared to be in quite a clean condition, the exterior case seemingly taking the punishment. With a good scrub all over the whole machine came out looking very good and spotless..
    However I had a change of mind after thinking that the machine is quite nice overall and even had the protective stickers on the printed fascia panels, and that its too good for me to potentially destroy, so I sent it off the KB cine repairs (Kevin Brown), who charged £325 to completely overhaul the machine, replace parts and add a new worm drive.
    The turnaround was just around the 6 week mark. The TQ3 works perfectly now. The worm drive replacement did not accommodate the animation function so picture 2 shows all of the parts removed relating to this. Picture 1 shows the parts that were replaced. The worm gear appeared in good condition but Kevin pointed out that there was a tiny 1mm crack that had formed.
    The work as listed was….
    Fit a new worm gear and felt wick, repair motor drive P.C.B, repaired stabiliser assembly and auto load latch, fitted new drive belt, exchanged tilt bar lift gear and shaft, fitted rubber feet, fitted new take up arm gears, and replaced model number plate on handle.
    Now that the dark evenings are here it has been brought into use and is great to use!

Attached Files
Working...
X