Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bauer P8 L Universal no sound

Hello,
    I recently obtained a Bauer P8 16mm movie projector. The film projects very nicely, just no sound. The exciter lamp is good. I do not see any leaking capacitors. There is a three position switch on the back of the projector which I assume controls sound output, off, internal speaker, external speaker. When I switch to external speaker I cam hear a faint hum from the amplifier. Volume and tone controls do not affect the hum. There is not a lot of information on the web concerning P8 trouble shooting. Hopefully someone here can help.

Marc
    This projector is unusual in that the external speaker, when plugged in, does not mute the internal speaker. The three position switch is the control for the internal speaker:-
    1 = Half output
    0 = Off
    2 = Full output
    Not sure about the loss of sound, does your model have some push button switches on the right end of the panel? If so, try selecting them in turn.

Maurice

Comment

Good afternoon Maurice,
      Thank you for the information. There are no push button switches on the panel. Volume, Bass/treble, are two rotary switches. The volume dial "clicks" when turned all the way counter clockwise. I assume this turns the amp on and off. The projector is in very good condition, just some dust. I will re check the 3 fuses again.
      Searching on line I did find a shop that repairs and sell parts for Bauer projectors. Unfortunately for me they are located in The Netherlands.

https://van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&cat=film

Thanks again,
      Marc

Comment

Marc
        Yes, the amplifier is turned on and off via the volume control knob which gives an audible "click".
        I once bought a similar projector named a Rank Aldis, made by Bauer for the UK's Rank Organisation. The sound was almost inaudible, my engineer discovered that the optical sound system was covered in dust and dirt. A good clean brought the sound up to an impressive figure. It's worth a try to check that area yourself.

Maurice

Comment

Thanks again, Maurice. I will take a look at the optical sound system.
          Regards,
          Marc

Comment

Problem solved.
            There was a bad solder connection where the wire connects to the volume control knob. Projector is up and running with sound.

Comment

Working...
            X