Hand Crank Battery Operated Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Crank Battery Operated Projector

I have a client who, being an artist, uses projectors a lot in her work, both in the production and showing. We have been talking about the Kodak Model C which can operate both with motor and by hand. Having shown her the photos she would have appeared to "Taken a fancy to it"

As with most clients the orignal spec tends to change when more facts become available.

She now wants the machine but wants it to be hand cranked and work on batteries as does her LED Lighting so she can use it in the feild. I have sat and had a thought or two, considered the requirements, then sat and had some more thinks.

I think I am aware of most of the possible pitfalls and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas, suggestions or even examples of this sort of thing?

I have a spare Donor Model C I can use but battery LEDs that could do the job?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bored Purple.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	48325 Nick

It might need an LED upgrade, but other than that I think this modern piece of technology is al you need:

Name:	pathe_kok.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	48347

Comment

Hi Nick, you could use an led torch innards. There are loads out there and they produce an amazing bright light for such a small size.
      Good luck with your project.
      John

Comment

Nick
        To achieve hand cranking I assume that you are going to modify the still device selector.
        Or, perhaps fit a handle on the sprocket.

Comment

Mairice,
          The current plan involves using one of these, I have a donor machine I can "modify" (I have a large hammer) the model C already has a hand cranking facilty. The light source on this actually is at 90 degrees to the lens.

This plan also could be subject to change....

I quiet like the projector in the photo from Rob, does it come with a team of Sherpas to get on site?

I had thought of an LED torch as a lightsource but need to find out how far it needs to project thanks for the reinforcement John.

Name:	Kodascope C 06.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	48362

I am still thinking but am greatful to all for any suggestions, a faint vision of a workable soultion is starting to form.

Nick

Name:	Attentive.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	48363

Comment

Hey Nick,

It is a picture of the famous Pathe KOK from 1912.
            http://www.pathefilm.uk/twentyeight/28kok.htm

I think the use case for that machine is very similar to what your client asked for.

- Rob

Comment

But Rob, do you have enough 28mm films to justify the work to convert the lamp?

My Pathé KOK projector is the version that can run on either wall current or hand cranking. It was factory built for the American market as it runs on 110 volt power.

Name:	pathe 28mm 1.gif
Views:	136
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	48389

Comment

The early Pathe KOK projectors were operated by hand.
                1) For the mechanism.
                2) For the generator to provide power for the lamp.
                PATHE 28MM KOK (pathefilm.uk)

Comment

Going off subject a bit here Rob........I WANT ONE OF THEM PATHE BEASTIES! (For me)

I think I have the 16 mm crank system sorted just trying to decide on a lighting source here.

Has anybody any experience of the old carbide type hand or bike lamps? what sort of colour temp are they and how bright?

How hot do they get?

I was sat here staring into space and when my eyes focused if realised I was staring at one of them sat on the shelf in front of me. Been there for ages and I never noticed. I think it came out of an old M Latern. I know nothing about them?

Being used by an artist I suppose when finished it should not only produce the goods but look "Arty" too.

I am not sure on a dynamo to provide power for the light as with variable speed for the film this would mean the brightness would vary by projection speed?

Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X