Bauer P8 Selecton repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bauer P8 Selecton repair

Hello to all, here a small report on a job on a bauer p8 selecton made in april 1984 for entertainment purposes

this week a customer brought in two bauer P8 16mm projectors. one of them a TS universal and the other the Selecton. both have issues but i started with the selecton. its main issue was that when fast forwarding the film it ripped the film apart.

these projectors are very complex and differ greatly from their more standard P8 brothers. the selecton has three seperate motors, three clutches and a servo to operate the clutches.

when in fast forward or reverse mode all the parts that touch the film: both sprockets, the flywheel drum and the claw need to disengage from the drive mechanism so the film can be moved freely by the two reel motors. it also features a memory function so it will stop at a predetermined number you set in a counter.

and thats exactly what did not happen anymore with this one, the top sprocket has ball and needle bearrings that had almost seized due to old grease and the clutch plate of the flywheel had completely desintegrated.

so simple solution you might think, just clean it all and lube it up and then all is well. well, wrong, before you can actually reach the axles and bearrings that need cleaning you have to dig very deep into the projector and dissasemble many parts. starting with both circuitboards. I even had to remove the complete claw assembly and rear reelarm to be able to disassemble the big gear that hid the bearrings. (putting the claw mechanism back in was horrible as you need to reinstall a spring behind the main axle and try to pull it upwards into its hook, with no room to move or see what you are doing)

eventually it took me six hours to do the job and now the projector is purring nice again. only during the first run i heard a twang, stopped the projector and noticed that steel wire were haning out of the belt. so that also needs replacing before it can return to the customer.
Working...
X