Bolex H16 Inconsistent motor speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolex H16 Inconsistent motor speed

I just recently purchased a Bolex H16 on ebay, when i received it everything seemed to be in great condition ; motor runs well, etc. I did a cleaning of the inside before loading film in as well. When I went to put my first test roll in today I noticed that the motor's speed is inconsistent, it speeds up and down. My assumption is that the spring/governor has gone weak but i am not sure. Without film in it the motor runs completely normal with no hiccups in the speed, but due to maybe the weak spring when there is film being pulled the spring has to use more force therefore creating a lag in the consistent speed.

This is just my theory and i don't know everything about these cameras so maybe there's something else that is causing this, i am just a bit stressed out now that I've gone through a good half of a fresh roll of film from troubleshooting it. Is a beginner 16mm user like me able to unscrew and open up the inside mechanics and see what's wrong or is it a bit too complicated and should i have an expert look at it? Most of the bolex repair websites i found seem to be in the 400$ range which is a hit in the wallet for me but if it means getting my bolex to work than so be it.

If anyone would be so kind to steer me in any conclusions to my problem, and possibly any solutions i can try myself before i send it off for repair. I have linked two videos below, one where the motor is running fine without film and the second being what is currently happening with film inside.

1.https://streamable.com/3urejz
    2.https://streamable.com/p4al9e

Also in your experiences, what are the best repair places on the east coast preferably?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first post here and as an eager young film enthusiast that just wants to get my camera working!

Any insight and help at all is greatly appreciated

That's obviously mechanical issue, no surprise about that.

The motor spring itself would be still just OK. It could be due to being sit idle for decades until all lubricants had dried up hence excessive load. Some throughout cleaning and re-lube may solve the problem. However this is definitely NOT the task for novice. There are lots of precision mechanical components packed inside. Without prior experience and precision mechanical skill, it's best to leave this job to the professionals.

But if you feels like nothing else to loose or inclined to gamble, try running idle for a while more. Additional "exercise" may help breaking loose of those gummed up lubricant and bring it back to life. Still not recommended anyway, but if you'd like to take the risk...

Comment

Hi, Dylan

You have a camera with a serial number lower than 100,400. It is at least 67 years old and most probably never saw a service for the best part of the time. Do have it overhauled.

If you can’t find anyone who restores your model, I’d be very pleased to take care of it. Find more information on my webpage.

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
        That's obviously mechanical issue, no surprise about that.

The motor spring itself would be still just OK. It could be due to being sit idle for decades until all lubricants had dried up hence excessive load. Some throughout cleaning and re-lube may solve the problem. However this is definitely NOT the task for novice. There are lots of precision mechanical components packed inside. Without prior experience and precision mechanical skill, it's best to leave this job to the professionals.

But if you feels like nothing else to loose or inclined to gamble, try running idle for a while more. Additional "exercise" may help breaking loose of those gummed up lubricant and bring it back to life. Still not recommended anyway, but if you'd like to take the risk...
        This is another thing i was thinking, probably needs to be lubricated and such, is there any professionals i could send it off to that you recommend? US Based?

Comment

Dylan
          As you live in the USA you might like to contact the following company for Bolex service in your country:-
          Bolex USA

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
            Dylan
            As you live in the USA you might like to contact the following company for Bolex service in your country:-
            Bolex USA
            Thank you i will take a look

Comment

Working...
            X