Black Perforation Technicolor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Perforation Technicolor

I recently received a 16mm copy from the USA of Elvis Presley's 1968 film, "Live A Littlie, Love a Little". The seller described it as being LPP with beautiful color, indeed, he/she did include a still showing the clear edge with LPP marking, however, there was also a further still showing black edged perforations. At the time I thought nothing of this. All the stills did. indeed, show wonderful colour.

On receipt , even before a bench check, there was an obvious change of stock towards the end of the first 1600ft spool. A bench inspection revealed the change of stock around the 900ft mark. In a mid shot join the film became black edged perforation stock, the sound track and the beautiful colour remaining.

Checking on the Internet revealed that this stock was Technicolor, and it further said that all IB had been phased out by early 1974. The LPP has a date code of 1983. I am assuming that it is possible that severe damage was caused to part of the original print and as Technicolor was no longer available for re-printing a new section with LPP was inserted. There is no difference at the change on projection, picture and sound quality remain as before.

Do fellow members agree with my thoughts?

History of 16mm Technicolor Printing (paulivester.com)

That was an interesting read Maurice. I will be the first to admit that I have never known a lot about Technicolor, beyond knowing that it is a three strip process. Until now, I never knew that the color dyes could " migrate "!

Comment

Osi
      Thank you for your comments. My post has now been seen by over 80 viewers and you are the first to reply.
      I was hoping for some reaction to my last sentence.

Comment

I wonder if the dyes would "migrate" due to certain cleaning fluids as they were more like printing ink for Technicolor Dye Imbibition printing and weren't as deep in the emulsion as with the films with couplers in the layers of the integral tri-pack Eastman system.

Comment

So, Brian, is that your opinion for the replacement section?

Comment

Do you mean could the Technicolor original have been damaged by film cleaners? I was actually commenting on the piece in the link you gave that Osi mentioned.

Comment

If the whole original Technicolor print had been cleaned in some sway it seems highly unlikely that only roughly a third of the total film could have possibly been subjected to dye migration.
              I am still of the opinion expressed in my original posting. Film damage. This could have been caused by an inexperienced projectionist.

Comment

Working...
              X