Tools for B & H repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for B & H repair

For repairing B & H projectors, this set of tools is one of the recomendations. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bell-Howe...-/232676445581 . However the set is in the USA and quite expensive with the postage. Is there a set that does the same in the UK? Do people just try and use what tools they have got and hope for the best?
    Thanks.

martin,
    i have only ever used a small socket set, screwdriver and
    allen keys,

Comment

Martin

These projectors were designed in the USA and do not use the type of Allen Key which we use here in the UK.

The correct items are called "Bristol Wrenches" and have a six-point end.

Perhaps these would do the job:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bristol-S...QAAOSwP8dcI8E~

Maurice

Comment

Thanks very much for the responses.

Clyde – I have to admit I did suspect some people do use allen keys. There is just that risk of getting it wrong and ruining the shape on the screw, and then you're stuck!

Maurice – thanks for the link, could be the only real option as its cheaper at least on the cost and airmail postage.

I have not looked at a B & H in close detail myself for over 17 years to really see what's practical regarding these screws, as that's when I sold my last example, and on which I certainly did not attempt to take apart. I'm just attempting to see what the costings are involved, as well look for a suitable example (probably a 1500 series).

Comment

I have to admit I did suspect some people do use allen keys. There is just that risk of getting it wrong and ruining the shape on the screw, and then you're stuck!

As Martin said above, using the wrong tool could completely ruin a grub screw. The Bell & Howells with the infamous worm gear were introduced in 1961, so some are now really getting "old in the tooth", so undoing a gear or similar these days means having the correct tool to do the job.

Maurice

Comment

allen keys work fine, i should know i've stripped and rebuilt enough of the machines

Comment

Working...
            X