Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K3 footage question- user error or camera issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K3 footage question- user error or camera issue?

I just got back my first two 100 foot rolls I shot with a Krasnogorsk-3 that I bought off of ebay. Something seems to be a bit off with the way the film is traveling through the camera. I am aware that there are significant light leaks here and I have some tape ready to tape up the exterior of the camera, but I am wondering what might be causing the image to move around the way it does.

The two rolls I shot are posted here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G8G2hfiRb4

Does this look like perhaps a loose gate? Did I just load the film incorrectly? Perhaps a part is missing?

Any help that you all can offer me will be incredibly helpful, I have had no luck finding anyone in my area (north carolina) with expertise on these cameras.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Richard Covach; May 05, 2022, 05:26 PM.

Considering the massive degree of blurriness result and several scratches on the film, I assume that the upper film loop or bottom loop (or both) was totally lost. What actually caused that degree of error is hard to tell however.

The best next step IMHO is to try it out again with some "junk" test film, and with cover open. I believe that the culprit should be very visible & evident too.

Comment

There also shows fogging at each side which could indicate that the 100ft spools may have been handled in a too bright an area when loading or unloading the camera.
      I agree with Nantawat's suggestion that you now use your useless film to load and operate the camera with the back open. This may show where your problem lies.
      Here is an interesting video which eventually shows how to load the camera which may help you.

How to Shoot 16mm Film / Krasnogorsk-3 / Full Guide - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
        Here is an interesting video which eventually shows how to load the camera which may help you.

How to Shoot 16mm Film / Krasnogorsk-3 / Full Guide - YouTube

Thank you for the response. This is the video I used to load the film for those first two rolls. I followed it as closely as I could. Every single other tutorial I have watched or read has said that rather than opening the rollers and placing the film into them from above, I should just wind the camera up, run the motor, and feed the film into the first roller area without opening anything. I was getting the impression that perhaps the method shown in the video you linked here was actually not the way to do it because 1. it yielded poor results and 2. all the other tutorials said to do it the other way.

Do you think there is any difference in these two methods of loading the film?

Thank you all again for the help!

Comment

Richard

I have never used a Krasnogorsk, but have used the Bell & Howell 70DA and the Bolex H16, both of which have similar film lacing as shown in the video.

It is obviously important to open the guides at the sprocket to ensure, by feel, that the sprocket teeth have engaged with the film perforations.

It is not an auto-load model so it will not accept loading by just pushing the film around the sprocket with the guides still closed. Also, the loops above and below the gate are critical, as is the correct loading at the gate itself.

When complete with the loading, it is a very good idea to give a quick burst of the motor to watch and see that the film is going through correctly. Then, and only then, do you close the lid and start your proper filming.

BUT. As I said before, continually use the your existing film to load and unload until you are quite happy with it all.

Film is expensive. Take great care.

Comment

Maurice and Nantawat, I was able to successfully shoot a roll thanks to your advice! Thanks very much, I will be shooting a lot more rolls now.

I have another question: I am looking to buy a wide-angle/fisheye lens for the k3, and I am interested in the Peleng Belomo 8mm f3.5 lens. I need to buy the Nikon screw mount version of this lens correct? There is no way to use the Canon version because it is Bayonet mount? I have not been able to find any adapters to go between bayo and screw mount. Also, do you guys have any other recommendations for similar lenses besides this one?

Thank you again!

Comment

Richard
              You could try SRB Photographic.
              I needed a special adapter for my Bell & Howell projector which was not a stock item and they made a one-off for me. It wasn't cheap but it was worth the money.
              Lens Adaptors | Camera Adaptors | SRB-Photographic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X