Elmo 16mm CL projector loop restorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo 16mm CL projector loop restorer

Hi all I have just purchased a Elmo 16 cl machine I can't seem to get the loop restorer to work properly I have removed the top white plastic wheel and cleaned it all up but I can still only get it to work if I move the lever over to the left.
    if anyone has any tips that can help me that will be great.
    This is the first time I have owned one of these machines so I'm still trying to work every thing out.
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry Webb; March 20, 2020, 06:41 AM.

Hi Barry...I'm not quite sure what the white plastic wheel is you mention. A picture would be nice. Not knowing how specifically the loop restorer is not working I'll give you some basic troubleshooting.

Remove the lamp housing and you will be able to set how the loop restorer is moving...or not moving.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Elmo16CL-LoopRestorer_full.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.0 KB ID:	6243

With your finger push up on the bottom of the trigger wire and then let go several times. It should move back down very easily with no binding. Try spraying a little WD40 or oil to see it that helps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Elmo16CL-LoopRestorer_lower.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	6244

Also check the top of the restorer. Make sure the wires move smoothly through the metal guide holes. The metal can sometimes get bent. I had this happen to one of my projectors. Once I straighten the guide and lubricate it...it was fine. You can also adjust the large screw on the top shown in the pic to adjust the tension.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Elmo16CL-LoopRestorer_upper.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.3 KB ID:	6245

Try this and report back Barry.

Comment

Hi Janice that's the one on the inside of the machine is a white plastic thing that's sets I all going all of that seems ok .
      When I put the metal bar up nothing happens the bar is free to move .
      But how do I set it up I looked in the service manual but that wasn't much help.
      Barry

Comment

There is no setup Barry. Just answer this...When the machine is not running and you push up and then let go of the lower part of the loop restorer (as shown in the 2nd photo above)...does it freely drop back down?

Comment

Hi yes I does with ease

Comment

OK... So is it the top loop that is a problem? .... or the bottom loop? Can you describe in more detail what is happening when you run a film? Does the film jitter...bind...or what?

Here are some photos that you can compare with your projector to see if the loop former rollers are in the correct position before and after you start the projector.

This is the position of the top loop former when the projector is in the off position.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Elmo-16CL-toploop_off.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	6264

This is the position of the top loop former when the projector selector switch is in the Forward or Lamp position. The roller should move down after creating the loop. Look at this movement without plugging in the projector. Is the roller moving down? Also try it with the power on with and without film. The roller can move up briefly if the loop is lost due to irregularities in the film as it threads.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Elmo-16CL-toploop_on.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	6265

Bottom loop OFF

Click image for larger version  Name:	Elmo-16CL-bottomloop_off.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	6266

Bottom loop ON

Click image for larger version  Name:	Elmo-16CL-bottomloop_on.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	6267

If there are splices or sprocket irregularities the loop rollers should move freely to re-create the loop.

Here is a video:
            https://photos.app.goo.gl/HsYYWkCgkANoykS47
            Last edited by Janice Glesser; March 20, 2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

In addition to the observations I posted above.... These instructions that were given to me when I was having loop setter issues. Maybe they can help you out.

Turn the projector on, no film, put it into run and lift the wire with a small probe or stick and the loop setter will trigger. Try it several times and with just a short operation it should trigger the loop setter once.

If it doesn't, then:

1. Remove the top cover (two screws) that is the guide for the upper loop.

2. Examine where the wire you were moving is connected to a bell crank.

3. With the projector unplugged, now move the control from stop to run and you should see the bell crank drop just a little. With it unplugged do the push up and drop.

4. The bell crank is connected to a shaft with a set screw. Changing the orientation of the bell crank (higher or lower) will change the trigger point for the loop setter. Little bit will d'ya.

5. If there is binding, it might be like mine and be the lube on the shaft that runs through the projector to the actuator on the inside. I took off the bell crank and put a couple of drops of silicone oil and then worked the actuation inside the projector until it was free. You may have to do this if the mechanism is sticky. The shaft is held in position by a ever popular Elmo c-clip if you want to remove the mechanism and clean it. I didn't.

6. Reassemble and you'll notice in stop that the actuator fingers are held off the mechanism so make sure you start with the system in stop and set the bell crank back on and attack the wire and check for binding.

7. Now you can run the projector and check for actuation and fine tune the position of the bell crank.

Comment

All pulleys are free to move my problem is when I get a film with a splice or a bad bit of film the image just shutters and makes a noise the loop restorer tries to reset buy just seem to be jumping up and down .
                I have removed the rear cover and taken out the fingers and cleaned then so there nice and free they go up and down as you turn the machine from stop to run as they should I believe.
                If I move the arm that the fingers are supposed move to the left looking in from the back of the machine the loop restorer works fine there is a small hole in the top of the arm just wondering if there should be a spring in there to hold it in place .
                I'll get some pictures up later.
                Barry.

Comment

https://youtu.be/S9IZIZUwInY

Comment

https://youtu.be/RcDHjRBJbVg

Comment

I hope you receive the videos ok as I've never done this before.
                      As you can see the loop restorer doesn't work it very annoying when your watching a film and you have to keep resetting the projector hope someone can help I don't want to strip down the machine if it's a easy fix .
                      ​​​​​​ Barry

Comment

Barry in troubleshooting a problem I need to know what IS WORKING in addition to what isn't working. Since you have not given me specific feedback to what I've asked....should I assume that the linkage is moving the feed rollers properly and that the only thing not working is the wire loop restorer? If so...look at the last series of instructions I listed. Remove the top front cover over the supply feed area and look for the adjustable bell crank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200321_074817.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	6298

This is the extent of my knowledge and experience with the loop restorer. My projectors are CL's...so possibly your SL projector is configured differently. Good luck!
                        Last edited by Janice Glesser; March 21, 2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Janice the post title was wrong it's a CL machine on lifting the wire nothing else happens the top and btm reset pulleys don't move sorry for the confusion.
                          Barry

Comment

I'm not an experienced repair person on the Elmo 16CL by any means...but if you are saying that the feed rollers don't move when you turn the main switch off and on like in the pics I posted....then this is looking more like it could be a problem with the linkage and not necessarily the loop restorer. You need to observe what is or is not happening when you turn the main selector switch from off to forward. This is when those feed rollers should move. If they aren't moving there is a disconnect somewhere. You will probably have to remove the lower front cover panels to observe this.

This video will show you how to get to the #1 Linkage in the front to see what it's doing.

Last edited by Janice Glesser; March 21, 2020, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Hi Janice we seem to be at crossed swords at the moment.
                              yes Everything works from when you turn the control knob to run all the rollers come into play and the film runs nice and smooth.
                              There only problem I have is the loop restorer not working if I get a bad splice or poor film it will not reloop so I have to stop the projector and start it up again.
                              You can see in my video that when I lift the small crank nothing happens the rollers bottom roller stays still it should push out the film to reloop it that is all that is wrong with the machine.
                              I just thought someone on here my have had the same trouble and it's a easy fix but it looks like I'm going to have to strip it down and fault find there's not much in the sevice manual on the problem unfortunately.
                              Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X