Shipping films in the U.K. and abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping films in the U.K. and abroad

Can members tell me of their experiences of shipping prints both in the U.K. and abroad. What carriers have you used and who would you avoid? Do you usually insure and send to be signed for? How about packing? I have prints waiting to go but could do with some insights. Thanks.

I use Royal Mail for 8mm films up to 2kg (minimum signed for, special delivery with values over £100 or so) anything over 2kg Parcelforce 48. For projectors or really heavy parcels I use UPS through Parcel2Go online. For overseas I also use Royal Mail, and in most cases Tracked and Signed as well (although some countries it's one or the other). I hope that helps.

Comment

Hi Dave
      I avoid Interparcel...after they reduced an Elf NT1 to dust, they refused to pay compensation, even though I'd paid extra for insurance. I had to involve the Citizen's Advice Bureau, but eventually got the compensation. A few months later when sending another projector, they sent me an extra invoice because they said I had not used the "correct" packaging so the parcel had to be manually sorted. I had, in fact, used a double-walled, very strong cardboard box. From then on, I refused to use the company and now ALWAYS take a photo of the item being packed (showing the protective packaging inside) plus one of the outer box, before sending.

Did you get my email of a few days ago?

Comment

Here are my experiences buying from abroad. When I buy films from the USA it is nearly always via eBay's Global Shipping Program. All fees are paid up front which means no extra customs charges when reaching the UK.

1) The seller sends the film with USPS to Erlanger in Kentucky where the shipping agents (Pitney Bowes) have their facility.
        2) Pitney Bowes does all necessary actions for transatlantic crossing via Air Mail.
        3) The film arrives at the UK facility of Pitney Bowes where the final address label is affixed.
        4) The film is then handed to Evri, once known as Hermes, who deliver in a couple of days.

The whole process from the USA seller to my door is usually about 10 to 14 days. Tracking is easy and I have always been satisfied with the whole system.

Comment

Like Barry, I always use UPS via P2Go - Fantastic service - very competitive price- fast delivery and never any problems or damage. However it is important to pack well, especially when sending fragile items such as projectors or the like.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have stuff to dispose of and your thoughts have been really helpful

Comment

Working...
            X