Splicing 16mm film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splicing 16mm film

I am in the process of digitizing 50 each 400 feet reels of 16mm film for a customer. I have the projector, camera, editor and splicer. I am getting today a roll of the commercial type splicing tape. My question is: by using this kind of tape that does not have the sproket holes, what is the best way to do the splicing? Do I need to create the sproket holes or will the projector correctly run the film through? Need answer ASAP.

If you use a CIR splicer, it will automatically punch the holes in the tape when you make the splice.

If you are splicing double perf film, be sure to turn the film over after making a splice and then pull the splicer down, with no tape in place, in order to punch out holes through the tape you have just applied on the opposite side.

Comment

Gary, thanks so much for the response and info. I have a mansfield editor/splicer. Not sure which one of the splicers this one is but I will play with it. The Jack Roe splicing tape I have does not have the sproket holes in it.

Comment

That sounds like cement splicer to me.

Short answer - it DOES NOT work with splicer tape. CIR tape splicer will work with splicing tape you have, but it's quite pricey.

If this is a one time job the next best option is to use pre-perforate tape instead. It should at least work with your splicer.

Comment

Phillip
          This is what you need.
          The small adhesive tapes have their perforations already cut out. I have one of these which I thoroughly recommend.

VTG Kodak Splicer PRESSTAPE Universal Splicer Super 8/ 8mm /16mm 41771475598 | eBay

Comment

Thanks. The Jack Roe tape did a good job and the splicer I have will punch the sproket holes, I just have to turn the film over and punch the opposite side.

Comment

I have a splicer that does 16mm, standard and super 8mm.
              the super 8 teeth do a great job of perforating splicing tape once applied to the film, manually of course. Projectors run these splices without a flicker. Been doing it for years.
              an easy solution if you don’t have a professional CIR splicer.

Comment

Just so happens that I have one of those splicers/viewers, and you are correct, it does do a great job of splicing and punching holes in the splice tape. I am finally caught up with my tape, film, slide conversions, so it's time to take a break and relax for a while but there is more business coming in the wind.

Comment

Working...
                X