16MM CIR Splicer - 3D PRINT??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16MM CIR Splicer - 3D PRINT??

Hey everyone, considering the massive price for a 16mm CIR Catozzo tape splicer, is there any reason that no one has attempted to 3D print one? They always have many bids and go for hundreds of pounds so I'm just surprised someone hasn't designed a version to be affordably replicated.

If anyone is aware of this I'd be very interested to know, as I'm sure a lot of other people would.

Thanks!

All other parts can be replicated without too much issue I guess.

But the most vital part of the splicer - the punch & die assembly for punching the sprocket holes through the splicing tape, would have to be made of metal, period. I'm yet to see how plastic 3D print parts can be made to the specification.

That would still have to be made with traditional machinery process. So yes - $$$ anyway...

Comment

Jacob
      Are you still looking for a 16mm CIR?

Comment

Thank you both for your help

Comment

Hello everyone. Regarding the punching of sproket holes, I have just started converting 16mm film to digital and bought a used projector and splicer. The splicer if of the splicing tape version. I have an idea I am going to try to remove the problem of punching sproket holes. I am going to take a piece of angle aluminum about 4 inches long. Measure the distance between the sproket pins on the splicer, drill holes on one of the flat sides of the angle aluminum the same size as the sproket pins on the splicer. I will then attach a small "handle" onto the piece of angle aluminum with the sproket holes so I can press down the film and tape, making a sproket hole through the tape.
          I will post later as to how it worked.

Comment

Working...
          X