No announcement yet.

Bell and Howell 1592 filmosound issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much. I will open it up, take a look and go from there.

Comment

Be careful with the back. There are wires everywhere. I think it may be best to slightly hinge it down from the top.
      Best of luck.

Comment

No problem, I have a lot of experience working with wires. I was a telephone installer repairman for 20 years in the service and then worked as a defense contractor for another 27 years working in a telephone exchange, microwave, fiber optics, carrier systems and such. Anyway, I found the problem with the sound/silent slide. My projector had a locking screw that went through the slider on the "inside" of the projector and held it in the "sound" position. You could not tell that from looking from the outside. I removed the screw and the slide went from one to the other easy. The other projector, same model, does not have that screw or hole where it went. Looks like smooth sailing from here on.

Comment

[QUOTE.... Looks like smooth sailing from here on....[/QUOTE]

Let's hope so.

Comment

"The guy I am doing the work has said he does not want the reels of film back, so no issues there."
            Hi, I would be a bit careful here (I assume you are anyway), as I have found that you can never be sure whether the original film prints will be needed later for some reason. A Bell and Howell on auto-chew might damage film and detail that is not captured during the digitising process, but could be at some point in the future if the film is retained. I do a lot of amatuer film capture in 16mm, and have never done a capture that I did not think could be improved upon in some way. Once the original print is lost however (the best source all things considered), improvement to the basic digital file is not possible. I own all the film I work with, but if working with a customer I would encourage them at all costs to value the original reels as if they are priceless. Something is only original once...however adequate, a digital copy is not original.

As with other advice, I would be 3 metres of medium weight white leader before any original film touched a film path...The zig-zag crumple of doom is more than I can bear nowadays, so I personally only use manual open load projectors for sound film. This does not gaurantee trouble free running, but at least you see the horror unfold before your eyes with a stop switch in hand!

I hope all is going well with the transfer now BTW!

Comment

Working...
            X