Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with knowing the issue of my 16CL

Hey all hope someone can’t help.

you might have seen a few other posts of mine about my projector and fee I’m narrowing down on the issue.

the excitor lamp doesn’t always turn on I’ve realized, much like an old television, if I give the side of the projector a thud, then it can get it to turn on.

ive also had the case opened and tapped a capacitor and the same thing happened. It then stays on until I switch it off. Sometimes it starts perfectly.

Do people think the issue is a bad solder joint, a dying capacitor(s) or something else?

any views much appreciated.

I have other questions this unit type specific but should probably have their own thread as the issue differs.

It definitely could be a bad solder joint... However I would use a capacitor tester to see if the component is bad. There is just no way of knowing for sure without testing.

Comment

Definitely sounds like some very tentative connection. If the lamp is mounted in a socket then it could just be loose or there are surface oxides that need to be removed.

It may be that your thuds and taps are jostling the lamp back into contact.

Comment

Scott
        One small thing you should do first of all is to remove the exciter lamp and gently clean the tip connection with a light touch of wet and dry. The tip may have some corrosion on it.
        Also, check its skirt for clean contact, particularly the little pips.

Comment

Ah thanks everyone. Let me try and and see if the contacts are the issue for the lamp. If not I’ll check the board for soldering issues and also check the caps. I’ve never heard of a cap checker but not fascinated to find out what that is.

Comment

Working...
          X