Information Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Please

Do any of you 16mm buffs out there know of any way to convert 16mm film to digital besides the "old fashion way with projector, wall and digital camera", or camco black box? I think I read on this forum somewhere a fellow said he had a digitizer like the wolverine 8 and super8 movie maker. I am in the US and so far, have not found one that will digitize 16mm anywhere, new, used or whatever. I am looking for a "safe" way to do the conversion because: I just finished converting 15 seven inch reels of 16mm for a guy and I used a Bell & Howell 1592 and had issues with film jamming and breaking. If the film is in good shape, flat and clean with a leader it ran through just fine, but some of the films were "bowed" not flat. I have two 7 inch reels of the old walt disney Mickey Mouse movies and one 7 inch reel of "The Little Rascals" and I believe the digitizer like my 8 and super8 would be a "safe" way to convert. I see there are converters out there that will do 16mm but unfortunately, I can't go rob fort Knox to get one.

Assume that you'd already sorted out the projector issue and already having camera with full manual control. If you want to go beyond off-the-wall method, you may find this interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220904_171636.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	65616

The "secret sauce" is this additional projection lens.

Name:	20220904_171646.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	65617

Any slide projector lens around 70-120 mm in focal length should work OK. This lens would then act as a magnifier enlarging the image large to be easily captured with your camera.

Name:	20220904_171657.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	65619 The captured image will be upside down of course. But it's just a matter of inverting the image in the editing program.

Name:	20220904_171730.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	65618
    The light source is just an oridanary LED panel, around 1-3 watts of power would be more than enought.

And that's all you need to get direct to lens transfer. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Thank you very much. Very interesting. I can probably pick up a junk slide projector for peanuts and use the lens from it, just have to make sure of the focal length.

Comment

Working...
      X