Splicing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splicing question

I have around 400-500ft of 16mm silent film on a bobbin which has splices every few feet, they are tape splices and have completely dried up so as i unroll the film they just fall off.What would be the best way of repairing it ?. I just have a basic cement splicer and i think it would take many hours with that.

If it is an acetate film, the cement is your best option. I have films decades old with cement splices that are still sound. If it is polyester film you will have to use tape. You are lucky the splices dried up and fell off. I was digitizing some old 8mm films that had tape splices that turned to a goo and shrank. It was a pain to clean and repair.

I have seen other folks reported that super glue worked with polyester film, but I have never tried it myself.

Comment

Jason
      If you haven't got a tape splicer you could use Kodak Presstapes. But they are not cheap, so it may be better to use your cement splicer.
      Either way it's going to take you a long time. 😡

16MM PRESSTAPE 40Tapes/20 SPLICES MOVIE SPLICE TAPE, NEW KODAK PRESSTAPES | eBay

Comment

I have a hollywood stainless steel splicer for 8 and 16mm tapes that I would like to rehome. Any ideas where it might be needed?

Comment

here are some pics of the splicer

Comment

Jim
            It is a cement splicer, you can clearly see the fold over emulsion scraper.

Comment

Maurice, is it anything anyone might want?

Comment

Jim

Most unlikely.

It handles 16mm and standard (regular) 8 but not Super 8. Also, many modern emulsions cannot be joined using cement.
                However, it could be used to align the Kodak Presstapes in 16mm and 8mm. These are pre-perforated and have adhesive backing. But, they are very expensive.

The splicer, of course, cannot be used with adhesive tape which is not perforated such as used in the CIR models which cut and perforate in one movement.

Comment

thanks, I will dispose of it.....

Comment

Working...
                  X