Sears Tower model 803-8401-2 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears Tower model 803-8401-2 questions

I hope that this is an appropriate space to ask about this. I recently inherited a Sears Tower 803-8401-2 16mm projector and a box of film to go with it. Considering that it was stored in a garage for several decades, everything seems to be in pretty good shape. I'm waiting on a lamp to see if the sound portion works, but I have run one of the reels through and the projection side seems to work (for the most part).

I'm happy to do my own research on this, so my first question is if anyone knows where I might find a manual for this or a similar projector. I've searched under everything I can think of, but have come up empty. If someone knows of a repository of manuals or has one that they would be willing to share, I would be extremely grateful.

More specific questions (apologies for not knowing the correct terms for these items):

1. At the top of the projector, next to the sprocket pulley that pulls the film off the supply reel, there is an L-shaped tube with the label "Fill oil well with Tower oil before ___ daily operation". As I mentioned, I did run some film through it to test how it works, but seems like I should fill the well prior to running through the whole box. Any thoughts on what type of oil I should use here?

2. When threading the projector, the film comes down through the projection section and then there is an arm that has 2 pulleys on it with a spring that pulls the arm toward the front of the projector so that it rests against the sound reader. I'm not sure how to thread that part... I ran the film under the first pulley and over the second, but that seems wrong for 2 reasons: a) the spring makes it seem like it should have some tension that would pull it back and I don't see that happening, and b) it seems like it should go under the second pulley so that the film curves more over the bar where it reads the sound. I'll try to attach a photo of this.

3. When I was projecting the film, I stopped and started the projector several times. Sometimes when I started it, it seemed like it was projecting twice for every frame, once in the normal position and once with the frame half-advanced. Other times it would project correctly. Any thoughts on what might cause that?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
    Greg

Greg

1) I think that light thin oil such as that used for sewing machines would be OK for lubrication. I can't believe that daily application is necessary.

2) I suggest the film should rotate around the first pulley in a clockwise direction, and anti-clockwise for the second pulley. The purpose of the two sprung pulleys is to ensure that the intermittent movement of the film coming out of the picture gate is smoothed to continually pass around the soundhead.

3) I am not too sure about this. However, no doubt there must be a stabilising flywheel on the end the sound drum spindle. If you stop and start too quickly the flywheel may still be turning.

4) I believe the projector hails from around 1940-ish and as it is left-handed probably never had a good following. (Unless you are left-handed )

Comment

Does that roller pair spring back to the left when released, and make a firm contact with the sound drum?

If yes then I think the film should be OVER the right roller, then UNDER the left one, and finally over the sound drum. The left roller is the one that keep films in firm contact with the sound drum.

Comment

Working...
      X