Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snubber Roller, Trouble screwing back into place. Ben n Howell 636

Hi everyone, I hope you're well.

I recently purchased this Bell and Howell filmosound 636 projector (16mm).

I unscrewed the snubber roller and the rear guide roller. I cleaned them and screwed the rear guide roller back into place, with no problem.

But I've had big difficulty attempting to screw the snubber roller back into place. you can see in one of the pictures that the hole that the screw is supposed to screw into has slid back into the projector. the provided screw is way too short for me to screw the snubber roller back into place.

I've used a thin piece of metal to slide the piece back to the front of the projector (where it was before I unscrewed the piece). But even when I've slid back the piece, when I attempt to screw the snubber roller back, it slides back into the projector, thus I can't screw in the snubber roller.

I know I haven't explained this problem very eloquently, but I hope it does the job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.​

EDIT: Typo in the title, should say Bell, not Ben. although I'm sure you all knew that already
    Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	72272 Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.3 KB ID:	72273 Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	283.9 KB ID:	72274
    Last edited by Clark Teddles; January 07, 2023, 05:32 AM.

Clark

I was looking at your photo of the large round plate with the three screws. Would it help if the the screws were removed? Could you get inside? As I recall, there must be a spring somewhere to help keep the film tensioned.

Probably the only way you can sort things out is to remove the amplifier and you can then look inside the mech. BUT be careful with the lead from the amp to the exciter lamp which will need to be disconnected.

It is possibly fifty years ago that I worked on the 636's earlier brother, the 601, so I'm very rusty.

Comment

Maurice,

Thank you very much for your comment. I unscrewed those 3 screws and I simply reinstalled the entire piece into place, it's now fixed.
      Greatly appreciate your comment. Cheers.

Now I have to acquire the power cord, which is a very unique (and probably rare) cord to come by.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	72318

Comment

Clark
        Here is what you want. A trifle expensive but I believe this is what as known as "New old stock". I know the seller. He has many items of Bell & Howell for sale.
        New Mains Power Lead For Bell Howell 16mm And Some 8mm Projectors | eBay

Comment

Maurice,

Thank you for sending this. It's greatly appreciated.
          Last night I spent about 2 hours looking for this cord, so I'm very grateful for your help.
          Regards,
          Clark

Comment

I am pleased to help, Clark.
            These line sockets have two pins which are live. One goes directly to the lamp. This is so that two projectors can be used for changeovers on a multi spool feature film.
            I have a lot of 16mm Bell & Howell projectors including a Maritime version, the 8636, one of the last Bell & Howell wooden blimp models. So called as for many years ships only had a DC supply..

Comment

Working...
            X