Eiki sound problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eiki sound problem

Hi all and Happy New Year! Having a little audio issue with my Eiki Slim Line 16mm projector. The exciter bulb went out (which I thought was odd- but I guess it happens). So I replaced it and it lit up like normal but the sound is really muffled - it was never like this with the old exciter bulb. Any ideas? I'mm guessing its hitting the film wrong? But there's no way to adjust it... Hmmmmm .... Any advice/help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Are you sure you replaced with the correct lamp?
    It uses a G27, you may have put in a G29.
    The outward appearance is the same, only their filament position is different..
    If you hold both upright with their skirt at the bottom, the G27 has a vertical filament (parallel with the lamp.)
    The G29 has its filament at 90 degrees, (parallel with its skirt.)

See attached sale detail.
    EXCITER LAMP TYPE BRK G27 FOR ELMO 16CL PROJECTOR NEW | eBay

Comment

This is why I LOVE this forum so much! Instead of ordering a whole new projector I am ordering a new exciter lamp! Who knew there were different types with the same strengths?!?! So I have ordered the G27 version and I am VERY optimistic. Oh, one more question... is BRK always mean G27? Some sellers only knew it that way but they weren't sure...

Comment

[QUOTE=Brian Hendel;... Does BRK always mean G27? Some sellers only knew it that way but they weren't sure... [/QUOTE]

Brian, Yes.
        The other lamp, the G29 is also known as BRS.

The G29 is mounted vertically and is mainly used in Bell & Howells.
        The G27 is mounted horizontally and is used in Eiki/Elf and some Elmo projectors.

This is why they look the same, but their filaments are designed to ultimately work correctly with their sound optics.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hendel View Post
          Who knew there were different types with the same strengths?!?!
          Thanks to Maurice, I knew because I had a similar problem some years ago and Maurice kindly gave me the information on the old forum. Thanks again, Maurice. Without you...

Comment

Thank you, Dominique.
            It's easy to mix up these two lamps.

Here's a true story from 1974.

In the cinema where I was working we had a young male part-time "usherette" who used to pop up to the box for a chat during his break. This was when he learnt of my 16mm projector collection. He said that his school had gone to video projection with VHS tapes and were about to throw away their 16mm projectors. Would I be interested. Of course I would.
            A few days later he was on duty and said that most projectors were at the bottom of the skip and covered with other rubbish, but he had been able to stop the last projector being thrown away. He had it at his house and it was a Bell & Howell 1658 which was a model TQII. I said I would give him £25 if it was OK.
            I went round to his house with one of my test films, but although it ran OK there was very little sound, I could only hear it with the volume control at maximum and that was very low. In view of a possible defect he accepted £15.
            I took it home and prepared to change the exciter lamp, and it was only then that I discovered that the fitted lamp was a G27 whereas the Bell & Howell uses a G29. With the new lamp the sound was perfectly OK.

I bought films regularly from Danny Pitt from Harston, near Cambridge, who sent out sales lists regularly. Unfortunately when I got home late in the day all the best films had been sold, some buyers even getting him out of bed. The latest list had arrived one day and he had "Goldfinger" advertised with a warning that it had a magnetic sound track. I got on the phone immediately thinking it would have been sold, but I was in luck, it was still available. He could have sold it many times over that day, but the buyers were so prompt that they didn't read or understand what a magnetic track was until he asked if they had a projector with magnetic playback facilities.
            As the 1658 also has magnetic playback everything was OK. I still think this is the best James Bond ever, its sound with Shirley Bassey is fantastic.

Yes. I still have the 1658 and "Goldfinger".

Comment

Great story... and... you solved my problem! Put the other exciter bulb in and sound was loud and clear. Now I know... and will never forget! Thanks again. Brian

Comment

That's good news, Brian.
                I always try to help fellow members.

Comment

Working...
                X