One asa filmstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One asa filmstock

I'm surprised that such a film exists. You must need a lot of light. I can hardly see any advantage of such filmstock for the avaerage filmmaker 16MM FILM - SINGLE PERF - FPP YETI BW REVERSAL - 100 FT – Film Photography Project Store (filmphotographystore.com)​ Or is there something I don't know ?

All I can think of is it might be for use in long exposure time lapse filming or a very fine grain reversal inter-negative or inter-positive.

I have just read the description on that site and it states it is for direct copying of titles and mats (sic, they meant mattes) and is orthochromatic meaning it has mainly a sensitivity to blue light so would give results like very early film stocks if used in a camera.
    Last edited by Brian Fretwell; January 14, 2023, 02:47 PM.

Comment

If you are an older photographer, you might remember purchasing film with an ASA rating. ASA stood for the American Standards Association and relates to the light "sensitivity" of the film. A high ASA film could be used in lower light levels. And low ASA films were used to make the sharpest images with plenty of light. The now discontinued Kodachrome 25 was a good example.
      https://www.photographytalk.com/phot...97-asa-aka-iso

Comment

This is going to be a lab stock of some sort. There were lots of these special emulsions available at one time, now down to just a few. They are usually available only in bulk (1000ft or so) and are typically used for titling, mattes, internegs or interpositives, sound negatives and final release prints. Typical ISo is from 1 to about 25 depending on how they are used.

You can shoot them in camera although it's not what they're designed to do. The BW versions are ortho films (blue sensitive) and will yield very high contrast results with no noticeable grain. The colour versions are low contrast. You need bright light of course. Process either as negative or in some cases reversal.

I've used many of these stocks in both 16mm and 35mm and I really like the results. If you search for Eastman 5363 and 5302 you'll see the sort of look you get.

HTH
        Phil

Comment

Yes that's what it said on the site that was selling it, as I mentioned above.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

Comment

Working...
            X