Ampro premier 20 woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampro premier 20 woes

Hi, I am trying to restore an Ampro Premier 20, which just conked out on me a while back. It shorted out on switching on. I had a look and found the exciter wiring was corroded and was grounding out on the chassis. Fixed that and the projector ran perfectly, when testing it up to 70 volts on a variac. But as soon as I switched the lamp on everything blew again, including the ISO transformer fuse. So the projector runs perfectly providing I don't switch the lamp on!!! I assume there is a short to ground somewhere on the lamp switch circuit, but stripping this projector down is a major challenge. I also notice that checking the lamp housing for continuity shows no response. I have cleaned all the contacts I can get at with contact cleaner, but am stymied really. Any advice please?

Patrick
    The Ampro Premier 20 could now be probably around seventy years old. You had trouble with the exciter lamp wiring going to earth. No doubt the insulation of the old wiring is also giving similar problems with the lamp circuit.
    I am sorry that my reply doesn't really help.

Comment

Thats okay Maurice, Its what I thought,, but as you probably know, these models are just a nightmare to strip down, it would probably just give me more headaches with even trying to get the amp out, never mind all the bunched wiring. I will think about it and probably consign it to scrap. Thanks.

Comment

Patrick
        I assume that all the wiring is insulated with rubber covering which has started to perish. If so, it would really mean a total re-wiring job.

Comment

Yes, I am going to give it a go, all helps with the experience I suppose! Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X