Ampro Stylist problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampro Stylist problem

Hi, I have just acquired a really nice Ampro Stylist, and the main motor won't switch on. The amplifier works, the exciter lamp lights, but no motor! It has not been run for years apparently. Would it be the on/off switch? Maybe corroded up? Seeing as the amp works, there its obviously power there, but I don't want to start messing with the projector until I have some idea of what the problem may be. Any advice please?

Hi Patrick
    If my memory is correct the motor and lamp switch is a rotary type, off, motor then lamp on. You didn’t mention whether the lamp comes on, if it doesn’t then it’s probably dirty , corroded contacts on the switch. Switch cleaner will do the job well.You could also check the brushes on the motor as it’s a variable speed type. There is usually these types of issues when machines are inactive for long periods.Make sure you unplug from mains before attempting to carry out work on the machine. Hope you get it fired up soon!!
    John

Comment

My guess would be first to check that the projector is set up for 240/250v operation and then as John suggests, check that the carbon brushes are not over worn. If they are then the brushes will not be making sufficient contact with the copper windings on the commutator and the motor will not run. You may have to replace the brushes, or as a temporary measure, stretch the spring that they are mounted on, to increase the pressure on the brushes so as to make contact.
      Here is a link to the operating instructions for the Stylist
      https://www.paulivester.com/films/pr...ro_Stylist.pdf

Comment

Thanks gentlemen, I will have a go at the motor. Interestingly, this projector seems to have a magnetic stripe set up, different from my other Ampros. The on/off switch is different too. It has one switch that says motor and lamp together. So when you switch the motor on, the lamp lights. And the lamp does actually light when you switch on, but wisps of smoke made me turn it off pretty sharpish! Obviously with no motor working, no fan to cool the lamp! Anyway thanks for the advice I will get on with those tips.

Comment

Working...
        X