VS how important is it to move away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VS how important is it to move away

I have been reading various threads and internet sources regarding VS on 16mm films.
    I have no way of testing for VS other than the obvious, smell. As of yet, i dont have any, (and hope it stays that way), but as I understand, there are ways of testing the onset before any smell is present.
    Does anyone how this is done?
    Is it recommended to store these away from other films as soon as the early stage hits?
    Also, Is keeping them in a plastic can ok to prevent it spreading as opposed to a card box where the air is able to get around more?

I'm sure there are test strips that archives use to check for this. Plastic might stop it spreading a little but would accelerate the damege to the film in the can keeping in the cardboard box but in a separate room would be better.

Comment

Here is the link to the V/S test strips from the Image Permanence Institute : https://store.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/ad-strips

Comment

Can confirm that these A-D strips are exactly what the film archive/vault at the company (ironically) called "Vinegar Syndrome" also uses when identifying the stage of VS that their film is in. Here's a video made by the company (slight language warning):
        "We Hate Vinegar Syndrome: How Vinegar Syndrome Saves Film" - An Insiders Look at our Film Archive - YouTube
        Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X