No announcement yet.

What 16mm Films Did You See Last Night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night I watched a lost Twilight Zone episode, The After Hours. Lost to me, not the world. When I sold off all my 16mm Twilight Zones last year, I could not find this one episode. I knew it was hiding in my basement somewhere, and yesterday I found it lurking as a spacer between two 35mm reels.

I also watched a 16mm IB Technicolor (letterboxed) print what was originally a scope theatrical short, Disneyland USA from 1956. The short was part of Disney's People and Places series, and for some reason they dedicated a complete 40 minute short to an amusement park in Anaheim California. Can't imagine why. Actually, it was quite nostalgic and interesting, a tour though Disneyland shortly after it opened. Many of the attractions are still there, other were long gone before I first visited Disneyland in 1966. Does the section of Disneyland then called "Storybook Land" still exist. I have no memory of it or any of it's attractions, but by the time I first got there I was probably too old to be interested.

Comment

Last night I watched The Goodbye Girl. I have two prints of this 1977 Oscar-winning movie. One full-length fading print on two 2000ft reels and an edited/censored LPP version on three 1600ft reels. I actually watch the fading copy more often using filters. I know this movie so well and am annoyed when scenes are missing and lines are changed.

Ending Credits: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SJAvZCitVq2CaVDH7

Click image for larger version  Name:	Goodbye-Girl-Ending-Credits.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	10800

Click image for larger version  Name:	The Goodbye Girl (1979).jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	10801

Comment

I watched the first 2 reels of Baby Boom (1987) last night. It doesn't start getting dark until around 8:30pm now and by 10pm I had to call it a night. I'll finish the 3rd reel tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BabyBoom-Projected.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	11375

Comment

I screened my B&W print of Picnic (1955) that I just received. It's in very good condition. A few jump cuts in the audio (nothing major)... minimal lines, clear and loud audio. The original movie was in color, but all the 16mm color prints I've seen are very faded. I'll take a nice B&W over a faded color print any day.

This is the famous "Moonglow" scene.

Name:	Picnic01.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	11877Click image for larger version

Name:	picnic02.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	11878

Comment

June 16 2020

super seal

full feature

Comment

Started with Georgie Fame singing The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde.

Name:	Fame Ballad of B&C.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	12224

Then came a pretty LPP print of 1979's Avalanche Express, the brilliant Robert Shaw's last film, with Lee Marvin, Linda Evans, Maximilian Schell, Horst Bucholz and former NY Jets quarterback Joe Namath!

Name:	Avalanche Group1.png
Views:	477
Size:	833.2 KB
ID:	12225

Name:	Avalanche Group2.png
Views:	474
Size:	834.0 KB
ID:	12226

Doug

Comment

On Borrowed time one of my favorites!

Comment

Have to give the wife a plug she loves "Trapper John" last count we have 51 episodes!

Comment

Douglas Meltzer I'm not familiar with Avalanche Express, but looks like a good cast and great print!
                    Roger Shunk Wow! 51 Episodes of Trapper John! I'm impressed!

Glad to see 16mm prints being watched by members on this forum.

Last night I watched reel 1 of 1996 Multiplicity. Because of my broken hand... it's been tough lifting the film boxes off the shelves. This film is in a plastic mailing container with a handle..easy to pull out with one hand

Name:	IMG_20200621_215059.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	12256Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200622_172126.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	12257
                    Last edited by Janice Glesser; June 22, 2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

First a digest of a 1940 French film, Narcisse. Then The Muppet Show with Bernadette Peters. The film is dubbed in French (except the songs performed by Bernadette Peters). I have to admitt I don't know the guest stars and I didn't know most of the guests of the Muppet Show when I was a kid and it was broadcasted on French TV. I guess many of the viewers were like me but what a success it was !

Comment

Dominique,

Having never heard of it, I checked out the plot synopsis of Narcisse.

A man has just died, leaving his fortune to the first of his nephews who will become a military pilot. Narcisse Pigeon, a rather simple boy, is persuaded by his family to try his luck. One day, at the home of an aviator friend, he tries on his friend's uniform and in the pocket discovers an urgent letter intended for the officer of the Regiment. He decides to deliver it, forgetting that he's wearing a military uniform. He later climbs aboard a prototype aircraft and starts flying it by mistake. After perilous acrobatics unintentionally executed, he is promoted to chief pilot. He also wins the love of the canteen worker Rosine and gets his late uncle's millions.

I want to see this!

Earlier I screened a production featurette about the making of The Scarlet Buccaneer, released in the US as Swashbuckler. I love that film and it's great to see Robert Shaw, James Earl Jones and Geneviève Bujold having fun on the set.

Then came George C. Scott in The Hindenburg, a scope print that has unfortunately faded quite a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hindenburg Group 1 6-24-20.png Views:	0 Size:	790.1 KB ID:	12365
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Hindenburg Group 2 6-24-20.png Views:	0 Size:	705.7 KB ID:	12366

Comment

Douglas Meltzer The epic story of the Hindenburgh is like aviation's version of the Titanic. From the very beginning of the movie you know disaster is going to happen. Despite the fading the print still looks in very good condition and has some good contrast. Good movie!

Comment

Janice,

I agree. The Hindenburg is well directed by Robert Wise, it's beautiful to look at and has excellent fx. The scene where the crew has to go outside the zeppelin to repair a tear is so nicely done. David Shire's score is one of my all time favorites.

Comment

Watched The Dove - 1968 Bergman spoof short film last night. What a cracker!

Found it at a local secondhand store (which used to belong to the state government) not knowing what it was.
                              Had to search up if 'badmintonska' was a real word or not, very well made. Not surprised it was nominated for an oscar

Comment

Tom,

De Düva is hilarious. I have a 16mm copy as well. I believe this was Madeline Kahn's first film.

Comment

Working...
                                X