No announcement yet.

What 16mm Films Did You See Last Night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I screened 3 16mm features - the film version of the 70's ITV comedy - Nearest and Dearest with the great Hylda Baker and Jimmy Jewell and then a complete change of pace with Sigourney Weaver and Michael Caine in Half Moon Street before finishing with Jessica Lange and Ed Harris in the Patsy Cline biopic Sweet Dreams.

Comment

IT HAPPENED TOMORROW 1944 Dick Powell and Jack Oakie
      Cracking film this one and a nice 16mm B&W print steaming along on the old Elf RM also enjoying manual threading.

I always sit there saying please don't take another news paper!

Dad was a big Dick Powell and Jack Oakie fan I so wished he was still around to watch this 16mm print 😥

Comment

Doug, I'm happy you like to see a French film 🤪

Lee, we are sadly all missing beloved great people who are no longer with us. That's the worst part of life.

Yesterday night, a 1939 French film, La famille Duraton. A man working for the radio (tv came later in France and Belgium than in the US so radio was at that time very popular), or should I say for the "TSF" as they called it then ?, ends in a family where there is no electrity. He sais je works for an electrical company and to thank for the hospitality offers to install electricity in the house. In fact, he found the 8 pm dinner time enjoying and a micro is hidden above the table in a lamp. Each evening, at 8 pm a new programme on the radio, La famille Duraton (Duraton is just a name), has a big success. The inhabitants of the village wonder how a Parigian radio station is aware of all the little local secrets revealead on air each evening. An imitator is accused...Two famous actors play in the film, Jules Berry and Noël Noël. A remake had been done in the '50s, Les Duraton.

Comment

Dominique De Bast One of my favorite movies is the 1966 French film Un homme et une femme (A Man and a Woman). I would love to have it on 16mm w/ English subs

Comment

Janice, are you aware there are two sequels with the same actors ? Un homme et une femme, vingt ans déjà (1986) and Les plus belles années d'une vie (2019).

Comment

Dominique De Bast No...I wasn't aware of the sequels. I can't imagine any sequel beating the original I'm sure...but I'm going to track down the sequels out of curiosity to see how they further the story.

Comment

Yesterday, silent 1918 French film, Rose-France from Marcel L'herbier, the famous film director. The film itself has more an historic interest than entertainment one. I have the copy the daughter of the actress had made in 1978 with the permission of Marcel L'herbier (I have the original letter). The copy is shap but not 100 % framed (if that description is clear enough in English...in other words, in some intertitles, you have to guess the beginning and/or the end of the phrase) ; I don't know if that was intentional (since the release copy was only accepted as a family projection puropose)

Comment

MAX DUGAN'S RETURN (1983) This time I was able to watch all 3 reels at one sitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=737&type=small.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	13924

Comment

Part of "Sweet Liberty" projected as a test as I bought it cheap from Phil at the weekend. It is wonderfully sharp and full coloured print but with continental subtitles burnt in, no doubt the reason for the price as it was in a special section of the price list.

Comment

Finished off Sweet Liberty I'm surprised the film has seemed to disappear. I've not seen is scheduled on TV recently. Cast Alan Alda, Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, Lise Hiboldt, Lillian Gish, Michelle Pfeiffer, Lois Chiles and Linda Thorson. Maybe I'm just influenced in its favour as it shows the "backstage" aspect of film making, critics seem to think it lacks bite as a satire, but I like it as I do "The Stunt Man".
                      Sorry the pictures aren't too clear as I was projecting with a low power LED in the B&H due to the current heat here and the exposure times were rather long.

Can anyone tell me the language the subtitles are in.

Comment

I just screened over the last few days “The 7th Voyage of Sinbad” great film and a pretty nice print. It is very clean with a few light lines and good color, a little muted I would say. Did not take any screenshots this time.

Comment

Just a 1976 Movietone film of the Trooping of the Colour silent on double perf (yes I did remember to turn the sound to zero before projecting) stock marked Eastman ECO. I have not seen this stock before and if anything it was slightly blue in tone, not shifted to pink at all.

Comment

Passeport To Pimlico. I saw that film about 30 years ago on French TV (in vostfr, English sound with French subtitles, which is rare, usually films are shown in French on TV) but I didn't remember the title. Thanks to forum member Leonard Goss, who quoted the title in 9.5 section, I could know it. By luck, I found the film. My print has a French soundtrack and also some texts refilmed in French, which is not current in sound films.
                            Recently, but I was too lazy to report them here, I watched : "La colère des dieux" and "La fille de la Madelon".

Comment

One of my favorite features from the 80s: „Young Sherlock Holmes“, the amazing Steven Spielberg production incl. the great soundtrack by Bruce Broughton.

Comment

Oliver Feld Very nice looking print ... I haven't seen that movie...I'll look for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X