What 16mm Films Did You See Last Night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian Fretwell
    Can anyone tell me the language the subtitles are in.
    Norwegian

Comment

A French 1949 film : Suzanne et ses brigands. It was funny to see a lady using such an antiquity. I had no idea it was still used in the late '40s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	insecticide.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	16010

Comment

Some were used in Carry on Abroad too, so they must have been around in the 1960's.

Comment

A very interesting French documentary about bees : La cité ardente (1946). I was impressed to see that the bees were manipulated without gloves.

Comment

Yesterday I screened...

DOOM OF DRACULA....400' Castle digest
            HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN...400' Castle digest
            SLITHER...just reel 2 of feature (odd reel)

...vacation screenings continue!

Comment

Yesterday night, Anne-Marie, a 1936 French film with Annabella, a famous pre-war actress. The action is set in the aviation world, so it's nice to see planes of that time. One of the actors wears what is called "pantalon golf" (golf trousers) in French, the same kind Tintin wears. Another actor, Paul Azaïs, had an accident during the WWII. As a consequence, he had memory troubles and it has been difficult for him to go back acting. He also had finacial problems because when he had his accident, he lacked three days working for benefiting the social insurance. He then founded later an association, La roue tourne (The Wheel turns) that (still) helps artists in difficulties. Last month, I watched 1) L'escalier sans fin (The Stairs Without An End), 1943, with an early appearance of Luis Mariano, famous singer (but at this time he was still Luis Gonzales ; the sucees started from 1945) and 2) Jeu de massacre (Killing Game) 1967 Not a masterpiece but Nancy Holloway, an American singer who had success in the '60s plays a little role in this film. Jean-Pierre Cassel, the French Fred Astaire has a main role.

Comment

The Walt Disney production NIGHT CROSSING. The feature based on true events about 2 families and their courageous flight in a self-made balloon from East to West Germany in 1979. Starring a wonderful cast around Jane Alexander and John Hurt - and a magical and touching soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith!

Comment

Yesterday, I started the projection of "Ciboulette" but was surprised during about one minute by what I was seeing on the screen. Then I understood that the cinematheque the film came from had strangely spliced a documentary about the American contralto Marian Anderson (I never heard of before). So, I got an extra film with Ciboulette. This 1933 French film is labelled as "musical" on Wikipedia (in French) but the credit on the film says "féerie" (fantasy, enchantment...) and it's actually a mix of both, which is rather unusual for that time. Good copy regarding picture and sound, which is always nice for film that belonged to a cinematheque.

Comment

I've just watched "Millionnaires d'un jour" (Millionnaires For One Day), a 1949 film. Interesting for some sequences showing the life in that time (especially a long indoor scene in a pre tv era and a bus scene). Some known actors, including the famous Louis de Funès, in one of his first role (he appears less than a minute).

Comment

Dr Strange Love with a young Peter Sellers briliant and young James Earl Jones

Comment

"Place's Connected With Lenin's Name in the Territory of Krasnoyarsk" (Eastern Siberia 1972).

I admit that the name is not a big draw in the age of snap chat...but it drew me in.

Comment

Betty Boop "Stop that Noise" as a replacement lamp test.

Comment

You inspired me No No a thousand times No Betty Boop

My annual screening of Trouble Brewing 1939 on the rebuilt Elf

Click image for larger version

Name:	trouble1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	20212

Comment

As a tribute to Sean Connery ,The Man With the Deadly lens , it's been a while since I last saw this print and enjoyed it more this time around, Mark.

Comment

Mark,

That title was unfamiliar to me, so I had to look it up. It turns out that's the UK title for Wrong Is Right, another film of Mr. Connery's that I'm fond of.

Comment

Working...
                                X