Hokushin lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hokushin lamp

Does anybody know what lamp fits the Hokushin TM-2 Television 16mm projector? I haven't found anything on this model anywhere. Any help much appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	hokushin lamphouse.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	98142

Since that seems to be a very, (very, very, very...) rare model - to the point that Google Search didn't return any result. So I'm afraid that there wouldn't be any definite answer to the question.

If it's me I'd reverse-engineer it, then replace the lamp with something more readily available. LOTS of work involved of course. But if the rest of the machine is still in perfectly good working order this would worth the attempt.

Comment

This looks like the socket of a 2-pin halogen lamp, e.g. 24V (150W, 200W or 250W) or 36V (400W). The 36V lamps are larger than the other ones. Is there any indication on the case, or inside, which voltage or wattage lamp to use? Can you measure the voltage in the lamp socket? Sometimes there is also a label on the power transformer, stating the output (V, A or W), when you open the back of the projector.

Comment

I had to admit that yes, I initially didn't have a real close look to the image - silly me. 😣

When look closely at the lamp socket I now can confirm that it is really for 2 pin halogen lamp as Juergen said. Can't be anything else for sure!

The rest is to figure out the correct voltage & wattage for the lamp in question. In the extreme case whereas there's no information on the nameplate it is still possible to poke a multimeter probe into the socket, to get a rough idea what the voltage for for the lamp is supposed to be. (If you're comfortable playing with LIVE wires, of course.)

Comment

I would be inclined to carefully measure the voltage at those socket connector terminals. What is the Mains Voltage in Canada???? 115V like US or 230V like us in Australia??
          If this is a Telecine machine some of the very early ones had up to 600W lamps in them as the image capture device was a photo tube setup and NOT very sensitive like the filmscanners around now.

What is the distance from the top edge of the socket to the CENTRE of that mirror as IF it is around 35MM then there are 2 lamps out there that might suit.
          One being the DYR which is 240V @ 650W and the other is a DYS/DYV which is 120V @ 600W and BOTH have different diameter pins (one FAT and one Thin).
          The 36V 400W is only 28MM from bottom edge of lamp to centre of filament so a tad short to suit the optical alignment.

I use a 120V DYS lamp in my 35mm projector to produce a quite bright 3M wide scope image for the home cinema setup and run it from a 240V transformer to 120V output which is tapped at 2 Volt steps and with a 6 position rotary switch I can adjust the volts at the lamp from 118V to 128V if I need some more screen light for very dark prints.
          Have no trouble sourcing DYS lamps so far but have a small stock of them on hand.

Comment

Canada is 110-120 v, same as the US. This is indeed a telecine machine. The distance from the top of the pin socket to the center of the mirror is about 2.5 centimeters, about 1 inch. I was able to fit in a household halogen lamp with thin pins, 120 volts 100 watts, which lit up but dimly. (not shown in the photo below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	hokushin 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	98401

Comment

That's indeed quite a progress. No wonder that the output from 100w lamp would be pretty dim. But at least it should be enough to get it going until better alternatives can be found. Due to its roomy design it should be no problem refitting it with 24v 250w halogen lamp, which will more than doubling its light output.

BTW since it's a telecine projector I assume that it could be run in "sync" mode, so that it will accept sync-pulse from external source, and will run at that exact speed throughout. This would be very useful for running double sound system (with digital audio from DVD / Blu Ray) for example.

Comment

Ty, Do you have a multimeter that you can use to check the actual voltage on the pin connectors?? It might be AC Volts or even DC volts as some Telecine machines ran DC voltages to avoid strobing effects due to the AC waveform making the filament heat up and cool down slightly the eye does not see it but some image capture devices DO.
                As a 120V lamp only lit up dimly that suggests to me that you could have something like 24 to 30V powering it. So a 36V 400 watt lamp might be a suitable fit.
                I have one here which measures 26mm from the centre of the filament to the base of the lamp, the Pins are 6mm apart and around 1.5mm in diameter.
                Going by the blank section with 4 holes in front of the gate I think the image capture unit has been removed in which case you will need to find a suitable CCD unit to replace it if you are going to use it to copy 16mm film.
                Those Telecine machines do however work very well as projectors by fitting a suitable lens and a decent light source. I modified a Philips Telecine machine ages ago for a Film Society and even though they thread up backwards to the normal convention of movie projectors one soon gets used to it and with the soundtrack on the outside which is opposite to normal projectors it is no problem using them.
                The Philips had a Intermittent sprocket so the image was extremely stable and it had very good sound and that Hokushin is setup for a 6000 foot feed spool...cant see what is there for takeup maybe that to is gone..interesting machine.

Comment

Working...
                X