16mm in cinemas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16mm in cinemas

The Cinema Theatre Association's latest magazine (Bulletin) has a good article about the use of 16mm in British Cinemas, about 4 pages long.

Brian
    Is there anyway that you could give us a link to what sounds very interesting?
    When I worked at the Classic, Taunton, we had a mini cinema which used 16mm with an Eiki 1500 and 6000ft spools.

https://www.van-eck.net/img/itable/i...1486033088.JPG

Maurice

Comment

Only available to members either the printed version by post ov on their web site where you have to log in to see it, unfortunately.

The available sample here doesn't include that article http://cinema-theatre.org.uk/publishing/bulletin/

Comment

What a great pity that the CTA don't seem to have caught up with the digital age where most items are now available for all.
        Are they afraid of losing their members?

Maurice

Comment

Maurice, membership is £31 per year which includes a full colour bi-monthly 'bulletin' and a yearly magazine 'Picture House'. It deals mainly with cinema/theatre buildings and allied subjects. This is the first article on 16mm in cinema that I can recall in 25 years. I doubt they are worried about loosing members as a reason for not going online. The subs pay for the magazines and for the very existence of the organisation. They have a fantastic archive here in Southend which contains almost everything about cinema in print.

Comment

I remember years ago the projectionist at the henlease 123 cinema called me out of the blue asking if I could project a 16mm film they had received that evening. It transpired that they were expecting a 35mm print of a new skateboarding film but they had received said 16mm. I rushed down to the cinema with projector in hand only to find that I couldn't project from the projection room. So, I had a stand in the aisle of the cinema and projected from there with sound hooked to the cinema sound system. And I must admit that the audience loved the film n to readily noticing the projection kit in the middle of the audience. And if memory serves of that cinemas projection booth, the 35mm were at right angles to the screen and projected via a series of mirrors.

Comment

The Bristol Orpheus has two cinemas parallel where the projectors are alongside each other.
              The third screen is on a lower floor at right angles to the upper cinemas. The projector, also at right angles to the other projectors, has a two-mirror periscope to the lower floor.

Maurice

Comment

For a very short period of time, 16mm was used at "The Troc" cinema at Tankerton near Whitstable. The used Cinetechnic Debrie's. This was not mentioned in the C.T.A. article. Ken Finch.

Comment

Ken's comment reminds me of a holiday to Sandown on the Isle of Wight in summer 1952. On the sea front was the "Cartoon Cinema", a small building holding about 100 people. They used two grey modern Debrie projectors. By using two they were able to have continuous shows with no interval to rewind.

Maurice

Comment

I wonder if 16mm was ever used theatrically here across the pond in the US.

Comment

The list includes exhibitors who show a mix of film and digital and exhibitors who only occasionally show film, as well as exhibitors who show 16mm or other small gauge film but not 35mm. The list attempts to only include exhibitors who have at least screened film in the past year, and excludes venues that have underused or decommissioned equipment. It is continually being updated.
                      List of analog film exhibitors: https://www.sprocketschool.org/wiki/...ilm_exhibitors

Comment

Working...
                      X