Dracula (AKA Horror of Dracula), 1958, Hammer Horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dracula (AKA Horror of Dracula), 1958, Hammer Horror

HorrOctober is coming closer, and I wanted to share my print of the Hammer Horror classic, Dracula, which I have on 16mm Technicolor stock.

The film is the first in the Hammer Dracula series, featuring Sir Christopher Lee as the count himself, and Peter Cushing as Van Helsing. Unfortunately, this is the UK version of the film, so some scenes are cut down, but this isn't too noticeable. This is my favorite Hammer Horror film, and it looks glorious in Tech.

After Jonathan Harker attacks Dracula in his castle in his Klausenberg castle, Dracula goes after Harker's family, and it is then up to Van Helsing to stop him. Its a short film at only 82 minutes, but it is suspenseful, has a great soundtrack from James Bernard. The print is as mint as you could get, and I've only seen 1 splice throughout the 2 reels. There are no emulsion scratches that I have noticed in the print, and it is complete from the Universal International logos in the beginning and end of the film.

For anyone interested in seeing this print, it will be screened by Cine Real in London, UK on the 21st and 29th of October at the Castle Cinema.

Tickets can be purchased here: https://thecastlecinema.com/organisa...7952/cinereal/

Cheers!

What a great looking print! Thank you for sharing Svein. Wish I was a bit closer...

Comment

Thanks Evan, it truly is a great print that I look forward to sharing with audiences in London. Wish I could share it with everyone here as well...

Comment

That looks a fantastic print! Although there seem to be quite a few in circulation, I think this is the first 16mm print I've come across that's the British version, so I think that adds to its desirability. In fact it's incorrect to say "some scenes are cut down". The US version has the graphic shot of the staking of Lucy, but it's not longer as the British version has an alternative reaction shot instead. The rest is identical except you have the benefit of the classy opening 'Dracula' title, instead of the more basic 'Horror of Dracula' lettering. I'll see if I can get to one of the screenings.

Comment

Cant make the date so will have to run the Super 8 Derann print later on. Have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Winchester View Post
            That looks a fantastic print! Although there seem to be quite a few in circulation, I think this is the first 16mm print I've come across that's the British version, so I think that adds to its desirability. In fact it's incorrect to say "some scenes are cut down". The US version has the graphic shot of the staking of Lucy, but it's not longer as the British version has an alternative reaction shot instead. The rest is identical except you have the benefit of the classy opening 'Dracula' title, instead of the more basic 'Horror of Dracula' lettering. I'll see if I can get to one of the screenings.
            It truly is a fantastic print. The colors are so vibrant and lifelike, and did I mention that it is basically a mint condition print. Thanks so much about the information about the print. The opening titles do look much better than the American version of the print, and I'm happy that its a more desirable print, as there are more of the American version floating around.

I hope to see you at the Castle Cinema on the 29th of October.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
              Cant make the date so will have to run the Super 8 Derann print later on. Have a great time!
              Too bad that you can't make it this time around! Maybe you'll make it to one of the next screenings in the upcoming months (Dr. Strangelove, The Godfather, Pulp Fiction (scope)...)!

Enjoy your Derann-print!

Comment

Working...
              X