Zulu Dawn, Scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zulu Dawn, Scope

The original Zulu movie is one of my favourite films, other forum members and ex members have kindly pointed me toward a couple of prints of Zulu for sale but they were always too far out of my price range.
    This prequel came about as an off chance and we are very pleased with this print.
    It’s the first time I have ever watched the film myself so I never realised how many big names were in this. Personally, although it performed poorly at the box office, we think its a very good film indeed with a very good battle sequence, and not a drop of CGI anywhere.
    This is an Agfa print so colours are excellent; the image as always with 16mm is pin sharp and the sound A1. There is some wear as you would expect in the way of base lines, quite a few but very thin & no emulsion scratches. Another good clean up will improve things further. There’s a couple of splices here and there with two repair sections in reel two but certainly nothing to put any viewers off, no jumps and all focus and frame lines match perfectly. If I wasn’t told there were repair sections I wouldn’t have known.
    All in all, for a 1979 film it has excellent vibrant colours and it is a great action movie which in scope looks fantastic.
    My Brother is very happy; this one compliments his scope copy of Waterloo perfectly. He does point out how Hollywood has put in some corny inaccurate nonsense as always.
    The film is a 1979 American war film about the historical Battle of Isandlwana between British and Zulu forces in 1879 in South Africa. The screenplay was by Cy Endfield, from his book, and Anthony Storey. The film was directed by Douglas Hickox. The score was composed by Elmer Bernstein.
    Zulu Dawn is a prequel to Zulu, released in 1964, which depicts the historical Battle of Rourke's Drift later the same day, and was co-written and directed by Cy Endfield.
    The film stars Burt Lancaster, Peter O'Toole, Simon Ward, Denholm Elliott, Bob Hoskins, Phil Daniels, Nigel Davenport, John Mills, Freddie Jones and many others. The music score is by Elmer Bernstein.
    Reel three is all the battle sequence so i didn't bother with screenshots as it moves too fast to get any decent images, apart from that i was too busy viewing

My apologies for the images not being in order. I can see how to change the order
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1548.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	4773Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1577.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	4774Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	61.3 KB