Cycles converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycles converter

Hello, I have just bought a Calvin std 8mm sound projector from the USA, fantastic machine with 2000 feet capacity.
    Im looking for a 50 to 60 cycles converter, can anyone help?

Well, It is possible. It just depends on how complicated you want this to be. (-and sadly, this may be the easiest way!)

There is this device called an inverter. It takes DC voltage and carves a 120V AC, 60 Hz. sine wave out of it:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Inverter July 3rd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.5 KB ID:	37752

We happen to have this for camping (It's a compromise: my wife likes camping with electricity, but I like the kind of campgrounds that don't have electricity!).

This is still only half the battle: you still need an input source for it. A car battery and charger would do the job. Plus this kind of thing would probably be easier to buy where 60 Hz. power is the standard: I got it from Amazon here in the USA.

Maybe with a little luck your new machine will have a different belt path for 50 Hz. operation and all you'll need to deal with is converting the voltage.
    Last edited by Steve Klare; July 06, 2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Take a look a this: https://www.amazon.com/ELC-T-2000UD-.../dp/B07LCS77Y9

Note: "Note: This converter is designed only for European/Asian 220V (Single Phase), it will not work with American 220 (dual phase)"

Comment

This would work for the voltage conversion, but the frequency stays whatever you started with

Comment

I see that this projector, in addition to being for 60 cycles, also needs to run on 115 volts.
          Something of a double whammy.

VERY RARE! VTG BEAUTIFUL CALVIN MOVIE-SOUND 8 MOVIE PROJECTOR 8MM FILM - RUNNING | eBay

Comment

Sweet machine!

Comment

I'm going to revise what I said here yesterday: I'm seeing a great many 12V, 1,000W AC-DC power supplies that would do a good job as a front end for this. I think I was biased towards a battery because that's how I use the thing.

-but unless you want to take a projector camping... (Even I never have! -So far.)

This still wouldn't be simple or cheap, but complex problems don't usually have simple or cheap solutions.

Comment

Hi Graham, you have certainly got a lovely machine , I missed one on eBay USA a couple of years ago. You will need a mains to 115volt tranny then you will need to get a larger pulley to allow 50 cycles mains. I have a friend who is very knowledgeable on matters like this, I have spoken with him and you can contact him , his name is Nigel Lister mob no 07765254955, I am sure he can help you sort this out. Good luck.
                John

Comment

Working...
                X