Bauer part wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bauer part wanted.

Am looking for the shutter shaft cam follower for 500/600 studio line super 8 machines.Bit of a long shot,but now have two machines that need them.Such a shame to junk these for the sake of this part.

Van Eck used to make these, I ordered a cam and follower as I thought they needed replacing in a machine I had bought, but for whatever reason they were no longer available so I was refunded. As it was they were not necessary in my case as I was able to fix the fault with adjustments to the claw position settings, it has run fine ever since.

Comment

They still list this,though "out of stock" I think the problem was that the 3D printing didnt produce an item that was strong enough,also not as smooth as the original,so noisy.
      Ive done all the claw adjustments as per the service manual,but picture now has judder. The projector was also getting noisy,and these should be very quiet .I would love to find it isnt the shutter cam,but these were known to wear out,being plastic.

Comment

I get the impression that a part like the cam or follower most likely needs to be cast or machined to get the same standard of performance as the original parts. I think FFR still stock this part, maybe they can be persuaded to send the spares direct rather than sending the projector in, especially now there's a customs barrier. Perhaps one of the repair people still working in the UK can provide the parts? I think the cam needs to be replaced at the same time as the follower so they can wear at the same relative rate to eachother.

Comment

Some interesting ideas there Lee,thanks.
          Van Eck still has the follower avalable,but not the cam.

Comment

Does anyone know if the cam and follower in lesser bauers is the same.

You can pick up the dual gauge machnes etc with very little use quite cheaply David.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265723880...MAAOSw5mxinOnl

Not that one as way over priced, but £25 ish and up is possible.

I`d imagine ones with the speed belt move over switch would be more likely to be right.

There is some very good bauer knowledge in Germany, I`m sure wittners would know, or a few other places.

Email me David as I know a very good nice chap there may be able to help.

Best wishes Mark.

Comment

PS just a thought but an Agfa LS or LS2 might have the same parts and they can be had from £40 for a very little used one.

I know where theres a minter for £50.

Best wishes Mark.

Comment

Mark, thanks for those suggestions.I did wonder if the Agfa machine you mention might have the same cam. It is a single sprocket design but the gate/claw parts might be the same.

Comment

Hi David I would think most Bauer or the Agfa`s and a few Silma`s might be the same.

Its a fair chance and the best way to get the right little used parts.

The Agfa`s are nice and very quiet but I don`t like single sprocket top one missing flippy goings on if you will.

So ideal to break down to make a good Bauer 600.

Do you want me to ask my friend with the minty LS, he may knock a bit off to help out. ( may ).

Best wishes Mark.

Comment

PS he is very handy so could take out the parts for you as well and maybe the odd other bit.

Best Mark.

Comment

It would certainly be great news if the parts were the same across the Bauer/Silma models as well as the clones, especially if this includes sound heads. I'm hoping the more compact nature of the single sprocket designs doesn't mean the cam/claw ratios are different

Comment

Thanks Mark but have decided to look for another good studioline Bauer as a spare.I still have a very good 600,which is very quiet,so maybe that will last a while,though always good to have a spare.
                        Have also been reading the service manual re work involved in fitting the cam,and begining to doubt my ability!

Comment

Van Eck produced a video on youtube showing the removal/replacement of the cam/follower (for back when they sold the spare parts), it's on their youtube channel. It doesn't show the re-setting of the claw position/depth unfortunately.

Comment

Lee, yes I remember that video. I think maybe my eyesight is getting past such intricate work!

Comment

I think if you only need to swap out the claw follower it would not be such a bad job, however you would still need to re-align the claw position afterward. However replacing the shutter shaft cam seems to be a lot more involved as the shutter shaft needs removing completely.
                              Did you check out the FFR website? I may be misreading the translation but it seems to me they will replace the follower if you send in the claw arm on it's own, it may be worth getting in touch with them for more information.

Comment

Working...
                              X