Dual 8 Editor Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual 8 Editor Recommendations

I am in the market for a dual 8 editor what makes/models should I try and find?

Last edited by Larry Byer; May 15, 2020, 11:16 AM.

Check out a Vernon. This model is also sold under other brand names.

Comment

I'm with Janice here: I have the Super-8 only Vernon editor and it's a lot better made than for example, the Baia whose demise caused it to show up here. What's kind of a bonus with these is they will take a 600 Foot reel, which is more than many of the cheapies can.

BTW: These take that 5001 6V,10W bulb we were talking about the other day.

Of course there are more elaborate editors with things like motorized transport and sound heads. If you need these features, they are right for you. On the other hand, as simple as possible usually makes life easier.

Comment

I was in the photography business for my entire working career as a sales and marketing executive. I sold Baia, Keystone, Dejur and Atlas Warner editors back in the day and I would never own one of them for myself. I'm leaning toward Vernon, Elmo, and Goko. Thanks for your post.

Comment

Hi Larry.

Throughout my 50 years as a 8mm film maker and tried many viewers/editors here is what I would recommend from film making experience.

For a dual Viewer you will be needing a ELMO 912. This is dual gauge, large clear screen and good spool capacity solidly built. You can also fit the little sound track reader and a frame counter which Elmo made for it.
          If you are up to a little maintenance its worth carefully unscrewing the back and cleaning the internal mirrors and screen with optical wipes.
          You can also increase screen clarity brightness but fitting a Halogen lamp which if you are in the US REEL IMAGE sell.

If you want Super 8 sound look for a GOKO RM5000 but its Super 8 only. It benefits from even larger spool capacity, motorised and a flickerless screen.
          Check carefully when buying they are notorious for electrical faults if well used.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
            Hi Larry.

Throughout my 50 years as a 8mm film maker and tried many viewers/editors here is what I would recommend from film making experience.

For a dual Viewer you will be needing a ELMO 912. This is dual gauge, large clear screen and good spool capacity solidly built. You can also fit the little sound track reader and a frame counter which Elmo made for it.
            If you are up to a little maintenance its worth carefully unscrewing the back and cleaning the internal mirrors and screen with optical wipes.
            You can also increase screen clarity brightness but fitting a Halogen lamp which if you are in the US REEL IMAGE sell.

If you want Super 8 sound look for a GOKO RM5000 but its Super 8 only. It benefits from even larger spool capacity, motorised and a flickerless screen.
            Check carefully when buying they are notorious for electrical faults if well used.
            Thanks for your input Lee. I'm was just looking for a dual 8 silent editor. I bought a Goko A-203 on ebay.

Comment

I've had very good luck with Argus brand.

In 1972 I had a Vernon that everyone is raving about but mine was nothing but trouble. Eventually my Argus replaced it. I don't know maybe mine was just a defective one.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
                Check out a Vernon. This model is also sold under other brand names.

Is there a separate sprocket for 8mm and super 8, or one reversible sprocket?

Thanks

Comment

Larry Byer
                  Is there a separate sprocket for 8mm and super 8, or one reversible sprocket?
                  Depends on the model. There are varying models of Vernon viewers that handle the gauge changing differently. Some models you have to change the rotating shutter masking and the sprockets...others have a universal sprocket wheel where you just have to change the shutter masking.

Here's another video of a different model Vernon.

These photos are not Vernon's...but they have the same variation design as many Vernon's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200528_100215.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	10606Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200528_100412.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	10607Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200528_100626.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	10608

Comment

My new to me Vernon 808 editor arrived yesterday from a great seller on Ebay. It does, indeed, have the reversible sprocket for changing formats. It was in pristine condition and looks like new. Thanks to everyone who helped me find just what I needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X