Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any Beatles releases on 8mm or Super 8mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any Beatles releases on 8mm or Super 8mm?

Hello, everyone! I've been watching this forum for a little while, and now I've decided to finally dip my toes into both it and the medium of film! It never ceases to surprise me the quality and quantity of material that has been circulating outside the realm of the digital world for decades.

First and foremost, I am at the very outset of creating a Beatles YouTube channel that aims to archive the band's recorded legacy, as well as create unique content from a variety of sources. I don't know the forum's policy regarding self-promotion, so if you would like to see an example of the type of content created, feel free to search up "The Beatles Shea Stadium" and you'll find it. It's the nice looking one

That said, I do have a sort of "bucket list" of items that I am hoping to acquire. Please note that, yes, they will be scanned and uploaded to the internet.

The Beatles: In Concert - any song combination you prefer
    Any miscellaneous color clips of "The Beatles: At Shea Stadium"
    The Beatles: Come To Town - looking for the intro and behind the stage scenes only
    Select music videos from Magical Mystery Tour - Fool on the Hill, I Am The Walrus, Your Mother Should Know
    -
    alternatively, any scenes from"Let it Be"

So, because I'm really only looking for select clips to scan, and because I don't believe many would be willing to splice and/or resplice film, I do have an idea to propose for the film's distribution: peer-to-peer rental!

If you would be willing to do so, I could borrow the film for a certain period of time, after which it will be returned to you! While your film is away, you could be earning some money!

Thank you for stopping by! If you are interested, feel free to respond below or in a PM!
    - Fus S.

Well, I can tell you what I have acquired over the years ... 1. Beatles on Ed Sullivan. 400ft. 2. Hey Jude, long version. 200ft 3. Revolution 50ft. 4. Beatles trailer reel. 200ft. 5. Magical Mystery Tour trailer. 50ft. 6. Magical Mystery Tour Japanese version 400ft optical sound. Very rare and on lovely unfaded Fuji film stock, much better than the Niles Films 400ft. 7. Yellow Submarine trailer. A lovely print made a few years from a lovely Technicolor 35mm source! BTW, Welcome to the Forum!

Comment

Fus - Welcome to the Forum.

I can confirm that ALL your requests are available in Super 8. In the case of the Magical Mystery Tour, it will be, as Osi has mentioned, a 400' digest, or full length. Not the individual songs. However, most of the full length copies have very muddy colour.

You can add to your list of super 8 both "Around The Beatles" and "The Beatles in Tokyo" ( one of the Budokan Hall concerts)

Comment

The reason why the Japanese digest is so awesome is that it largely had the full song ,"I am the Walrus", where the Niles digest has a minute of it, instead replacing it with the non Beatles song by the Door Daa Band (why?), And, of course, the better color stock. It is sad that the full length "Magical" was not printed on low fade stock.

Comment

A full feature of Yellow Submarine would be a fantastic print to get, the colors, the art and the music are superb.

Comment

Likewise have a Beatles collection including the old Yellow Sub negative trailer. Magical Mystery Tour is a special one here as well. Also have a Std 8 home movie filmed 60s of the boys shopping on Carnaby st London. A few frames were used in a programme a bit ago.
            Best with your channel idea and most of what you ask for is out there on 8mm.

Comment

Julian ... It is EXTREMELY rare, but someone. Overseas, did print the Yellow Submarine as a feature on super 8, but it was sadly printed on Eastman film stock and so most of those prints have faded.

Comment

Osi, who knows, maybe Steve can surprises with a new one. From his website I can deduce he loves the Beatles as most of us.

Comment

Didnt chc release a hard days night in full.

Comment

Well for my money it was a mess. HDN deserves a quality B&W release most certainly. Correctly framed without the half hearted blocking top bottom.
                    Mine must have been taken from a 16mm poss.

Please can someone over the pond source a good neg of this it will sell if presented properly really well.

Comment

"Well for my money it was a mess. HDN deserves a quality B&W release most certainly. Correctly framed without the half hearted blocking top bottom.
                      Mine must have been taken from a 16mm poss."
                      - Lee Mannering

I was able to find something through an eBay auction that contained the song "Can't buy Me Love" off of AHDN. Where/when/why was this released, and does this come from a different transfer without the egregious mark at the bottom?

Comment

Fus - It was Phil Sheard at CHC (Classic Home Movies) who released it. He is based in Cleethorpes next to Grimsby here in the UK on the East coast half way up the country.

Comment

There are, of course, all of those singular song releases, Hey Jude, Revolution, ect. One neat thing is that they had a colorful "Apple Films" logo on the films. One that I have seen but once was the live performance on the roof of Get Back, in letterbox format.

Comment

One thing I will say is that information regarding these releases is extremely scarce - and finding good outlets to purchase through is even more difficult. Is there any place left where these 8mm films are sold online, or should I look to physical stores? And, where can I find information about these online?

Comment

I

Comment

Working...
                              X