Sons of the Dessert LF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sons of the Dessert LF

Still looking for a nice Derann poly copy of Sons of the Dessert please.

( or anything similar L+H etc please ).

Also Will Hay Windbag the Sailer and Convict 99 and the Colditz story etc etc

Wisdom, Formby etc.

I have troublesome email issues on and off at the moment so a message is probably better at present please.

Or both

Thanks. Mark.

I'm curious about the Derann prints of this. What was the source material? Was it Blackhawk ? I'm wondering if I should search this out.

Comment

Prints originated from what Walton released so feature prints were slightly abridged. However, they were infinitely sharper than Blackhawk prints but had blue tint as they originated from colour stock.

Comment

Hi Osi as Mike says on colour/poly stock, some are nice , some middling.

Not everyones cup of tea but I prefer them, but thats just me.

A really nice acetate one does beat them usually, a sort of look thing.

Its more to do with VS panic for me really.

But its very rare on 8 in the UK.

Best Mark.

Comment

Funny, I always preferred the polyester prints. I found any Blackhawk prints always grainy in comparison. The shorts were better as the negative source was better. Just a matter of watching them on television to see what they looked like. Some of the Walton prints were also excellent even the ones they produced with only main stripe. The rarer ones like Any Old Port or Their First Mistake in sepia came from a totally different source.

Mark, out of curiosity have you bought the definitive Blu Ray set. Is it any good? I ordered one from Amazon at £40.00 but they are out of stock see the price is up to £65.00 now. Has most of the main Roach features and digests. Allegedly, Universal have actually paid for a bit of restorative work on the prints this time. Some are already complaining they have over done bit like Disney so you can’t please them all.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike, not seen the Blu Ray set yet myself.

Must look it up.

The old 21 DVD box set project wonderfully via LCD, beyond 16mm quality wise, though short on Buzz.

Best Mark.

Comment

I have a nice Walton of BRATS....when I got it, immeadiately viewed to see if the first main card was there, alas no...the one that says in part; wives went out for target practice (sic)...as to Walton, yes very sharp images, especially BIG BUSINESS. The features were not top-notch in quality, but the pre-print Blackhawk had was the beat Roach had until later materials proved better...like those released in the olive green and silver boxes....Shorty

Comment

Funny Joe, Brats was one of the prints that I could never get obtain a decent print. Both Blackhawk and Derann polyester prints were both soft and unwatchable.

We should make a list of the good ones.

Comment

This reminds me of my Derann reprint of "A night in Casablanca", on l.p.p. film stock, which does look better than the earlier prints. One slight downside. Reels 1 and 2 have a natural grey, where the last reels have a very bluish cast to the color stock.

Comment

Useful and interesting information here, however let's remember that the purpose of this thread is to help Mark get a print!

Comment

True Doug, but I don`t mind.

I was sort of tempted to drop film early in 2020 with the going`s on.

But to be honest, not sure how on earth you do that !!!

And its been nice to have some distraction as well.

All take care. Best Mark.

Comment

Mark the print I sold you years ago wasn’t bad. All the prints Walton Blackhawk and Derann plus DVD are poor for the scenes with the “exhausted ruler” and the boys have to give the oath to attend the convention. It improves after that. I do miss the scene were Ollie blackmails Stan over smoking. Why did Walton ever cut them!

Comment

Working...
                        X