The Thing on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thing on Ebay

Now here is something rarer that rare. The Thing 1951 complete feature on ebay. Not my auction. Here is the link.

RARE 1951 Complete "THE THING" Super 8mm Magnetic Sound Movie 5-REELS B&W | eBay

Would have loved to been the one to buy that movie!

Comment

Might stillbe there

Comment

...One of the first full features I bought when I re-entered the hobby. Quite right, this is a rare one on S8 and most likely a dupe. It is the full feature and my print arrived on 5X400' reels as well. Quite good but some scenes suffer from soft focus. An excellent film that I just had to have on Super 8! ​

Comment

Burton ... I wonder if that softness of focus could have been in the original print source? I have the special edition of this on laserdisc, and there are some portions where it goes from a very sharp image to a very soft image. My guess is that most of the print was 35mm, but there might have been damage to the 35mm, and they substituted 16mm for those sections? It's fairly obvious.

Comment

The one from the auction looks like it was released by a distributor, Matching reels and boxes etc. Mine came on 6X400' now that I have re-visited it, mixed generic 400' plastic reels in metal film cans. Close-ups are quite sharp but wide-angle scenes are softer. A few scenes have audio wow. Leaders give no indication of a lab or company of origin. A fellow Hobbyist has since informed me that his friend won the auction and that the print has very good sharpness and contrast...Pretty sure mine is a dupe.

Comment

Does any Forum member have any knowledge/proof that The Thing From Another World was released in Full Feature Format on Super 8mm for home audiences?

Comment

All I can add is 40+ years ago i watched a Std 8 film and it was oh so poor quality. As was common in the 70's many 8mm prints were printed up to S8 making matters even worse. Probably one of those so not really Super 8 as far as origination goes.

Comment

Thanks Lee, that would explain a great many things...No pun intended. Further evidence then that my print and perhaps the recent auction print are dupes but from different source prints.
                  one being a 5 reel version and one on 6. Mine could be a Std. 8 to Super 8 copy. In the end it would be nice to know as this is a sci-fi classic.

Comment

I can state for a fact that The Thing was indeed made on Super 8 : Red Fox manufactured the complete feature (B/W stock of course) decades ago! It's a top quality film print albeit rare that is definitely not a dupe and most likely made using the original negative. I do have this print so just want to confirm it's existence.

Comment

Then I guess 350.00 was a bargain.

Comment

Thanks Zachary! I am well aware of Red Fox prints and their excellent quality so you have a rare print indeed! Did your print come mounted on 5X400' as did the one in the eBay auction?
                        Any chance you have the Red Fox Original boxes? It would be appreciated if you could post more details about this print!

Comment

Red Fox Films didn't release THE THING, but did sell it in a deal with Nostalgia Merchant, as well as several R.K.O. super 8 features. This is from one of my Red Fox catalogues.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	RKO.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.4 KB ID:	29248 Click image for larger version  Name:	thing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.5 KB ID:	29249

Comment

Wow! I have never seen a print of the Boris Karloff classic, "The Body Snatcher" on super 8! People must be holding onto that one like gold!

Comment

Thanks Joe! You have done it again! I didn't want to hijack this thread but I couldn't find ANYTHING about a full feature regarding The Original Classic version on Super 8. I remember Nostalgia Merchant. Now the only question left unanswered is was this originally a 5X400' release? Thanks to all members for their input.

Comment

Working...
                              X