Room Service wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room Service wanted

Yeah, it doesn't come around too often, but I'd like to find that 1938 RKO super 8 feature.

I've seen it twice in 32 years - What are the odds? - If I spot it a third time, will so notify you - Shorty

Comment

Thanks Shorty!

Comment

Osi, I sent you a PM. A forum friend in Spain has a print but is having trouble using the new forum, so he asked me to contact you with his e-mail address so you can contact him for details...

Comment

Hi Osi - one point to bear in mind.

I bought a copy of the 4x400' version of Room Service back in 1980 from Derann, as I'm a big Marx Bros fan. I think it cost £60 at the time.

When it arrived and I projected it the copy was completely over-exposed and washed-out, virtually a white-out! I spoke to someone at Derann (can't remember who, but not Derek) and they offered me a £20 refund if I wanted to keep the print. As I was such a fan I decided to keep it anyway.

So here's hoping that you find a good copy of this decent Marx Bros film - good luck!

Ali.

​​

Comment

Ali,

Your'e right about the 4x400' Mountain version, but the double album (2x400') was much better.

Comment

Oh well that's good to hear Barry as I know I have that version in my 'still to be unpacked' collection 😊 I bought it a year or so ago - probably from you! 😉

Ali.

Comment

Ali ...

Could you perchance, if you still have it now, post a few screenshots of you're print, as i turned down one person who was offering me a copy of this 4X400ft, based upon what you said, but if yours is really washed out and other prints may have been printed better, i might reconsider this other persons print.

Comment

Hi Osi. I'm afraid that I sold my entire collection to Ian at Perry's back in 1992 after I got married - yes I know big mistake, especially as I've spent the last 4 years tracking-down and re-buying most of the films in my first collection...plus a lot more 😊

I may have just had a badly struct print back in the day and perhaps someone else on the forum has a copy of the film and can let you know what the quality of their print is like??

I do have the 2x400' version but since I have moved out of London and onto Bute off of the west coast of Scotland, I haven't yet had time to sort-out my home cinema yet.

If the seller can send you some screenshots of their copy then I can certainly tell you how they compare to the copy I had 40 years ago - because it was SO washed-out that you couldn't even see the outline of anyone's face in a medium-shot!

Let me know if I can be of any further help and good-luck!

Ali.

Comment

I'm going to ask about this at the Shalimar next month I'll keep you posted.........

👹😳

Comment

I have a copy of the 4 x 400ft version of Room Service up for sale on Ebay at the moment and the listing includes screen shots (which may answer one of the questions in the thread above)

It is lsited for GBP 199.99 plus shipping (via Ebay GSP for overseas buyer, or GBP 8.00 tracked and insured for UK buyers)

Comment

My goodness ...that print looks awful?

Yikes!

Comment

Hi again Osi and John.

Having seen the screen-shots that's pretty much as I remember it, except mine seemed even more washed-out over the whole of the frames ☹️🤔

Ali.

Comment

It seems strange to me that the feature was so over exposed, and the 2x400' is pretty good, considering it came from the same distributor, and most probably used the same master, why couldn't they get it right the first time. This was the trouble with some Mountain Films releases, they were either very good to excellent, or complete s**t on other releases, there never seemed to be a middle ground with them!

Comment

Maybe they used a different lab for the 2x400ft or the equipment maintenance wasn't good there.

Comment

Working...
                              X