Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND SPECIAL EDITION CinemaScope feature length prints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember this print being for sale at Blackpool 1988 and an Irish collector friend purchasing a copy, then sales were abruptly stopped. Derann did have a legitimate deal with Columbia Pictures, but I was told at the time that not all the paperwork was in place and signed off and Derek must have jumped the gun with the prints and when Columbia found out they stopped further releases of this print.

Comment

Interesting that for such a low number of prints allegedly issued that these two prints originate from Germany and one are both are dubbed in German. Suggests that there might have been a batch sent to Germany by Derann or did they get printed in Germany at later date.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post
        The Close Encounter deal was legal. I have the feeling it was other titles being printed caused the problems. Didn’t Derann also use a German lab for a time or was that cover for those infamous imports.
        I did hear that a German firm asked Derann to get prints made for them and do the sound recording (not sure if they had the rights) and that Derann could use some of the prints themselves. Dracula has Risen from the Grave was one title mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post

I did hear that a German firm asked Derann to get prints made for them and do the sound recording (not sure if they had the rights) and that Derann could use some of the prints themselves. Dracula has Risen from the Grave was one title mentioned.
          I heard the same thing Brian. I think there was an exchange of resources.

Comment

What a wonderful story. Most interesting to read! It seems that there is as much or more mystery to Derann's prints as there is with my print. The two going theories with my 1978 original version of the feature, in scope, is that it was either an "oil rig" print, or it was rumored that Speilberg or someone else connected with the film, (the producer?) Had prints made for the crew, and my print might be one of those. It certainly doesn't have the look of some bad dupe. I put up a YouTube video of a little of the finale, but I don't have the ability to add it while on my cellphone.

Comment

I have an Italian print of Close Encounters full length on super 8. Ok its not LLP nor scope, and in Italian, but I have CE3K on celluloid (re-dubbing over summer)
              And just noticed on Ebay Italy, there is another copy for sale:
              https://www.ebay.it/itm/374005126537...8AAOSwJZ5f9Cp6 But remember these prints are not Derann quality in the slightest.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mine actually came from Germany also. Lance re-recorded it for me. Unheimliche Begegnung Der Dritten Art.

Comment

One of the most interesting threads… Super-8-history and mystery at the same time 📽✨

Comment

I picked up my used print in 2004 from Derann.

Comment

And sold for 1.750 Euros! 📽✨

Comment

At that sale price others will surface on eBay.

Comment

Well some, but not too many after all. I admire that person for attempting to sell his not low fade, not scope Italian bootleg print of CE3K!

Comment

Working...
                          X