Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separate soundtracks

Hi!

How common was it to have films with the soundtrack on a separate medium (LP, MC,…)?
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/204432702391

Click image for larger version

Name:	film&cassette.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	101870

The only ones I heard of (and bought) were the Americom 200ft releases witht he sound on 45 rpm "flexidiscs" .

Comment

I remember when I was a teenager, I would check out 8mm films from our public library that came with a small record. I think the films were Laurel and Hardy and Abbot and Costello short films. You would sync up the film to a certain frame at the beginning and when you started the record, you waited for a bell sound then you would start the projector. It was not perfect sync but better than no sound.

Comment

Golden Book Films, part of the Western Publishing Company in the States had a series of still cartoon drawn story films that were on a 200' spool and came with a 33 1/3 rpm disc with the accompanying sound which wasn't a flexi disc but a proper standard 7".
        Many years ago, I got the 200' striped and was able to transfer the soundtrack onto film and am pleased to say it worked really well.

Please see the photo's below which also include a full list of what was available.

Name:	20240603_172430.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	101866

Name:	20240603_172504.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	101867

Name:	20240603_172449.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	101865

I have seen one or two of them for sale at Blackpool over the years, so they are still around.

Comment

Melvin, I also have a few of the Golden Books Films storybooks. One of them has mag stripe audio as well as the record.

Ken Films also put out 200' versions of The Empire Strikes Back & Alien with cassettes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alien Cassette - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.7 KB ID:	101869

Comment

Americom (with floppy record) and the Fox releases of ALIEN and STAR WARS (with cassettes). Don't know about others.

Comment

Interestingly, in Japan, they did some releases that had both, a optical sound super 8 soundtrack,printed onto the film, (well, obviously), but they also came with a 🧲 sound cassette of the soundtrack as well. The strange thing, is that the optical soundtrack is the worst gawdawful audio I have ever heard on optical sound super 8, but the audio cassette soundtrack is equally awful!

Comment

Working...
              X