Beaulieu Film Trimmer Problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaulieu Film Trimmer Problem.

So after several months of suggesting it is going blunt, the film trimmer on my Beaulieu 708el has decided to give up. I've tried sharpening it with mild sandpaper, etc. but it just will not cut anything anymore.

The problem is that the Beaulieu will only auto thread with this exact cut, so it is vital that it works.

Also, it is built into the machine casing. I've looked and it would mean removing a circuit board to get near it, which I don't fancy doing myself.

I've tried a Eumig trimmer, which is a similar cut. It's ok, loading sometimes, but not others and not always smoothly.

So has anyone any ideas where or how to get a new Beaulieu film trimmer??? Or any other ideas short of buying another 708!

If you have a film which has been trimmed with the trimmer, it should be possible to copy the cut with nail scissors, ensuring that the distance from the first sprocket hole is the same distance from the cut. Some projectors are very fussy about this and is probably the reason why the. Eumig trim does not always work. One of the problems of self threading projectors I fear!

Comment

Thanks Ken, yes I fear this going to be my method for the time being. Really a faf though as the Beaulieu cut is straight across but then with two 45 degree edges cut off.

And it has to be really precise or the projector will just jam it somewhere at various points in the path.

Frustrating.

I like your idea of using straight nail cutters as opposed to the fine scissors I’ve been trying.

just ordered some from Amazon!
      Last edited by Rob Young; June 10, 2024, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Hi Rob
        My Beaulieu trimmer is still working, but (until today) it never had a problem with Films cut by this trimmer from my Bauer Machine.
        Look at the pic attached…
        It makes exactly the cut the Beaulieu needs.
        Also a light loop from the film „to the top“ is helpful for loading the film.
        Which one „by Eumig“ do You use?

Comment

Hi Oliver, that’s really useful, thanks. If I get hold of a Bauer trimmer like that my problem would be solved.

The Eumig trimmer (from my 810 D) makes a similar cut but it is slightly longer on diagonal one edge. It works with some leader but not so great with others.

I always try to use white acetate leader, but it’s amazing how much one type varies from another.

Comment

I found that the Beaulieu Trimmer doesn't like cutting Polyestar film so I stopped using it. I just trim the film using scissors. If your film is jamming unless its super precise the machine may needs some adjustment.

Comment

Hi Alan, thanks, yes, it always had a problem cutting polyester, which is why I've always resorted to acetate leader. The machine has never had a problem threading before.

I've done some experiments over the last couple of days and it does seem that oddly, older acetate leader is working just fine with the Eumig cut.

It seems I'm having a problem with newer acetate leader and I've tried from two different sources. Strange!

I'm fairly happy that all is well with the machine (had it over 20 years without any major threading issues) but I still have a blunt cutter, which has definitely being on the way out for the last few months, so thanks to Oliver's suggestion, finding a separate Bauer trimmer would now be nice.

A friend of mine found some old Kodak pre-stripe leader a couple of years back and I used it all up on new purchases. I just tried trimming that with the Eumig and it seems to work great. So some good news.

Only thing I can see with newer acetate that I've bought is that it is maybe a bit thinner? Nothing technically wrong with it though.

Still full of new surprises this super 8 business, even after all these years...

Comment

Working...
              X