Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your PET PEEVE regarding super 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it s possible to go off-topic in a thread like this one.

(I did Cat-Shadows!)

Comment

Here's a good one: Hairs!

8mm has a gate at most one-quarter the area of 16mm. This is great in terms of storage and weight and cost, but that hair (-or other schmutz!) stuck in the gate is relatively four times the size!

-so you light the lamp, and there it is! It looks like somebody crumpled up a dead rose bush and wadded it up in the corner of the picture. You try to ignore it, but it jiggles just to get your attention! ("Me! Me! Loook at Meee!!!") If the portion of the picture it's in goes dark, you get to forget about it for a while, but it's usually still there when the screen brightens. You often sit there hoping it goes away: sometimes they do! (-sometimes they don't!) Every so often they jump a little just to tease you!

Sometimes you think a puff of air will dislodge it, so you open up the side panel and go after it. Sometimes people have little squeeze bulbs and try to "pff...pff...pff" it away. You can try to blow air at it like a birthday cake candle, but be careful! -the tiniest drop of saliva will send that white-hot projection lamp sky high if one meets the other! (Your face is right there, too!)

It's often futile: the dead rose bush has an annoying tendency to sit in the inner-margin of the gate where it's least accessible.

You can often get 'em before you start and certainly between reels, but you have to have your head in the game.

Every so often I'm waiting for the raw satisfaction of clearing one out that's been on my nerves for 600 feet. As the tail slaps on the machine, the phone rings and somebody distracts me wanting to sell me Solar or Life Insurance for the cats.

-Then I thread-up without cleaning the gate:
      -"Son of a...!!!"

Comment

At least with film, we can try and do it properly and have amazing results

Case in point

All these blow up screens for your backyard movie nights with cheap DVD projectors

The screen generally format is for 1.85 and yet letterbox movies are shown with the black bars in pure view......tsk tsk tsk

Comment

Right on Steve

The only hairs in the gate should be either Bugs Bunny or Roger rabbit.....

You are a very good writer almost always I am snickering at what I read, especially from you......

Comment

Thanks, Chip!

-as long as I meant it to be funny!

(The hair-post qualifies!)

Comment

Then there all those warped reels out there!

"scrrrreeeeeeee!!!........scrrrreeeeeeee!!!....... scrrrreeeeeeee!!!........scrrrreeeeeeee!!!......"

(Like fingernails on a chalk-board!)

Comment

Originally posted by David Hardy View Post
                Thanks Shane , Steve , Paul , Brian , Ken and others for your comments . I suppose i did go off topic a bit but my intention was just a reminder of the limits of both the 8mm gauges and how i have tried to get the best viewing experience out of both of them within a domestic situation and smaller rooms . It was good to read that others have adopted the same principles when projecting in the home .
                You are welcome David! The other reason I prefer projecting around 3 feet by 3 feet is the lens itself. The Eumig Suprovar 1.0 zoom has excellent resolving power, and sharpness. But, I have found it's even sharper at its smaller focusing, rather than the larger aperture setting. At home that smaller screen size is very pleasing to the eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                  Here's a good one: Hairs!

8mm has a gate at most one-quarter the area of 16mm. This is great in terms of storage and weight and cost, but that hair (-or other schmutz!) stuck in the gate is relatively four times the size!

-so you light the lamp, and there it is! It looks like somebody crumpled up a dead rose bush and wadded it up in the corner of the picture. You try to ignore it, but it jiggles just to get your attention! ("Me! Me! Loook at Meee!!!") If the portion of the picture it's in goes dark, you get to forget about it for a while, but it's usually still there when the screen brightens. You often sit there hoping it goes away: sometimes they do! (-sometimes they don't!) Every so often they jump a little just to tease you!

Sometimes you think a puff of air will dislodge it, so you open up the side panel and go after it. Sometimes people have little squeeze bulbs and try to "pff...pff...pff" it away. You can try to blow air at it like a birthday cake candle, but be careful! -the tiniest drop of saliva will send that white-hot projection lamp sky high if one meets the other! (Your face is right there, too!)

It's often futile: the dead rose bush has an annoying tendency to sit in the inner-margin of the gate where it's least accessible.

You can often get 'em before you start and certainly between reels, but you have to have your head in the game.

Every so often I'm waiting for the raw satisfaction of clearing one out that's been on my nerves for 600 feet. As the tail slaps on the machine, the phone rings and somebody distracts me wanting to sell me Solar or Life Insurance for the cats.

-Then I thread-up without cleaning the gate:
                  -"Son of a...!!!"
                  I agree Steve, the hair in the gate is the worst! I have found one trick I do that works, is to wet my fingers and squeeze the film as its moving from the supply reel to the gate. Usually this will dislodge the hair or fuzz from the gate. Where it ends up I have no idea. Now another thing that drives me nuts, is to see there was a piece of hair in the cameras gate as I was filming. That's one hair that will live for eternity, or at least the life of the film. I have one short reel of home movie where that hair shows up, and drives me nuts since there's nothing that can be done since its printed into the film itself, ugh LOL. So now, before I film, I make it a practice to clean the gate before inserting a fresh stock of 7294 color reversal!

Comment

Well, this pet peeve goes out to anyone who has both GS 1200 And ST 1200 HD experience

Is it just me or does the HD produce more hair in the gate than the GS 12 I have both machines and the GS 1200 can go a very long time without hair in the gate

But using the HD, I am constantly dealing with it and I've clean the paths. I've cleaned the sprockets and I've lubricated all my prints.

Of all the things the HD can do that could be a pet peeve hairs in the gate is probably the worst one for me

Comment

• I have a commercial print (railroad film) that was originally shot on 16mm in the mid-1930s. In several sequences there is a loop of hair in the gate which comes and goes with the intertitles.

It's really great, historic film, that for better or worse comes with the shadow of 90 year old hair, now immortalized!

I'd like to have some sort of device to aim into the gate and dislodge this stuff,

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                        I have a commercial print (railroad film) that was originally shot on 16mm in the mid-1930s. In several sequences there is a loop of hair in the gate which comes and goes with the intertitles.

It's really great, historic film, that for better or worse comes with the shadow of 90 year old hair, now immortalized!

I'd like to have some sort of device to aim into the gate and dislodge this stuff,
                        Ya gotta love hair! A few weeks ago my wife, 4 year old son, and myself were watching some of our Super 8 home movies on the projector. One scene had that pesky hair that was in the camera, as mentioned earlier. My wife asked me, "what is that black thing in the corner? I remember seeing that before". So I said, "well honey that was probably one of your hairs that found its way into the camera, back when we filmed this in 2019. Its there for the long haul". So she says, "why would it be my hair?" I just kind of gave her the blank stare, and moved on...

Comment

• Tex Avery's "Magical Maistro" gives justice to all hairs in the gate........

Comment

• Originally posted by Chip Gelmini View Post
                            Well, this pet peeve goes out to anyone who has both GS 1200 And ST 1200 HD experience

Is it just me or does the HD produce more hair in the gate than the GS 12 I have both machines and the GS 1200 can go a very long time without hair in the gate

But using the HD, I am constantly dealing with it and I've clean the paths. I've cleaned the sprockets and I've lubricated all my prints.

Of all the things the HD can do that could be a pet peeve hairs in the gate is probably the worst one for me
                            I've never had a GS-1200, but the ST-1200HD's gate needs to be cleaned after every reel. My other projectors require cleaning the gate every now and then, when I think of it.

Is is not so much hairs in the Elmo, but emulsion dust. I find I need to clean the whole film path often. We know Elmos love to scratch, so part of being hard on film is they seem to scrape emulsion off during every run thru the projector.

And yup, that Tex Avery cartoon is a classic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post

Ya gotta love hair! A few weeks ago my wife, 4 year old son, and myself were watching some of our Super 8 home movies on the projector. One scene had that pesky hair that was in the camera, as mentioned earlier. My wife asked me, "what is that black thing in the corner? I remember seeing that before". So I said, "well honey that was probably one of your hairs that found its way into the camera, back when we filmed this in 2019. Its there for the long haul". So she says, "why would it be my hair?" I just kind of gave her the blank stare, and moved on...
                              People love hair -- "oh, you have beautiful hair!" Then when they see it where it's not supposed to be, like in the bathroom sink, they're like, "Yuck -- hair!!!!"

Sort of like leaves -- like now in October -- "oh what beautiful leaves! What nice colors!" when they're still on trees. Then when they fall on the ground people are like, "Ugh, leaves all over the place!"

Comment

• My GS1200's seem to collect a lot of oxide (magnetic stripe) dust in the gate, more so than my Eumig's I would say. So I usually have to clean the gate and sound head thoroughly with alcohol and cotton swabs every few reels. A necessary chore with these machines.

Comment

Working...
                                X