A Bit of Chaplin/Super 8 Nostalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bit of Chaplin/Super 8 Nostalgia

I recently saw a rather old post (started by Osi I believe) about Chaplin, The Great Dictator, and RBC Films.

I am lucky to have several of the RBC titles in my collection and thought some of you might be interested on what else was in the box…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4762.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	102748

I remember these lease agreements on RBC order forms back in about 1976. I wonder if anyone actually returned their prints to RBC. Did RBC even exist in August 1991?

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.8 KB ID:	102752

My guess is no. Another photo, this from the Fall 1978 Niles catalogue. Videocassettes were being advertised in the back pages, starting immediately after the Chaplin film sale.

Comment

I had forgotten that there was the option of sending in a notarized certificate stating that the print had been destroyed!

Comment

Back in the pre-digital days, non-theatrical exhibitors would often be asked to send in a certificate rather than sending back the "print." (What distributor would want all those used video tapes back anyway?) It kind of makes sense from that perspective and was likely a cheaper option all around. Going back to Kenneth's question--I wonder if there is even a way to find out whether the RBC address was still valid in August 91.

Comment

I remember Sony Transcom provided movies to airlines back in the 80s and early 90s in the form of Super 8 optical prints in cartridges. (16mm was once used by some companies if you can imagine that.) When the airlines returned the prints, Sony would put them on a table and cut them in half with a table saw. They sent certificates of destruction to the studios. I was an auditor for the studios back then. It was heartbreaking to watch a film print get destroyed.

Comment

In addition to the Chaplin releases, RBC films handled distribution/rentals of numerous documentaries including Peter Davis' Hearts & Minds.

Here's a Forum thread about the same subject from 2005. Michael De Angelis mentions that RBC went out of business before the lease was up.

Comment

Working...
              X