Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinon 9500 record sound

Hi all,

I finally grabbed my dad's Chinon 9500 (unfortunately no manual) and would like to know of an easy way to connect the projector to my PC and just digitize the audio.
    There are a few inputs/outputs but am not sure which one is the correct one to use.

I am assuming I would need a 3.5mm connector on one end to plug into the computer (line in) and the other end that goes into the project would be a 5 pin DIN that goes into the "Line Out" (have no idea whether to use the top or bottom DIN on the projector)?
    Would this work or would I need some other hardware to make this happen.

I really don't want to record the sound that is emitted by the external speaker (if I can get it going) or even worse record the sound from the projector's internal speaker.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Is there a 3.5mm line out socket on the projector? If yes then problem solved - just hook that to your pc's line in and you're good to go.

The next best option should be monitor socket, but that would give you mono output only (this projector is capable of stereo sound playback if I'm not mistaken).

As a desperate measure yes, it is still possible to capture audio from its speaker output. You only need a proper audio attenuator to tame down the signal enough until you pc's input can handle that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
      Is there a 3.5mm line out socket on the projector?
      There is a 3.5mm socket underneath the 2 5 pin DIN's. I wasn't sure if that was also a lineout or that provided some other functionality.​

this projector is capable of stereo sound playback if I'm not mistaken
      I believe it is

Comment

I don't think its a true stereo projector, rather just a twin track one. The separate channels can be sent in to an external stereo amp for true stereo, via the 5 pin din sockets. The built in amp is mono (1 +2 combined). I think that 3.5mm socket shown is for triggering an external tape recorder into play mode or something similar, but does not carry audio. Normal would be the 'normal', non trigger setting I suppose.
        The two din sockets is how you get the audio out, based on my own Chinon 7800h twin track.​

Comment

I have honestly never used my record capabilities on this unit, so this is quite interesting to me!

Comment

It appears to me that you have the choice of 1 or 2 track line ot DIN sockets. If you are only going to play back films the 2 track socket would playback stereo films. If you can gain access to the back of the sockets you will be able to see which pins to use on your plugs. However trying to obtain a user manual is you best bet. There are a few websites that deal in user manuals for various audio etc equipment. Perhaps there is a member of the forum who has one or one of the u k dealers.

Comment

If you want to record stereo output you need 2 DIN plugs. One for track 1 (left) and one for track 2 (right). You won't get stereo (or 2 channel) sound out of one DIN plug, if it wired the same way as my own Chinon 7800h, which is of the same generation.
              Most sound (99 %) on super 8 is mono and you will only need to record the output from channel 1. It might be a good idea to run whatever film you are going to transfer and see on what track the sound is on before copying across. Its very likely just to be on track 1.​
              I notice that Chinon projectors in USA used RCA phono sockets instead (one for track 1, and another for track 2), a far simpler solution.

Comment

I saw a 3.5mm socket in the front called MONI and after enabling the line in on the PC I ended up being able to record the audio. Awesome!
                At least I have some sound to go with my digitized video.
                It was a bit painful because I had to put the volume up on the projector so it would be loud enough for the PC line in so as to record the audio. I can live with that I suppose.
                Now just have to try and merge the audio and video and keep it in sync. This will be interesting.

I then tried both DIN sockets into the PC line in and neither one produced any audio for me to record. A bit weird, considering the photo I shared shows the 2 DIN's are for line out.

I will still play around with the DIN sockets (as they should produce audio).

I will have to try and source a manual as it will make my life with the projector easier.

Comment

Glad you have got something out of it, and its probably enough.
                  My Chinon does not have a MONI (headphone) so I forgot to mention that might help you.
                  From memory the DINs may have had a strange wiring. The Din plugs I now use work with the Chinon are actually ones for video transfers where the DIN is at one end, and 4 rca composites are at the other, and I'm using the yellow video plug output! Back when I first got the projector in the early 1980's my father had to rewire a ' HiFi audio' DIN plug to make it work with the outputs on the projector. I also seem to remember reading that the DIN plug never had absolute standard wiring method before it was abandoned.

Comment

DIN connectors are standardised ("DIN" means "Deutsche Industrie Norm" = "German Industry Standard"), but depending on what you use the connector/plug for, the pins have different functions assigned to them. So even though they look the same (e.g. 5-pins), they might not work the same.

See this web-page for more information...
                    https://www.electronics2000.co.uk/pin-out/dincon.php

Comment

Ah, we eventually have some real progress here.😁
                      Regarding the low output from monitor out, that seems more or less the same as I had from my projector (another make & model btw). So the actual line level output would be the best option.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240718_124429.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	103542

I'm now 90% certain that you can get the line level output from that DIN socket. So the best bet in this case would be this DIN to RCA adaptor cable. It's readily available everywhere and should be pretty cheap, around 3-10$ a piece. This will probably solve your problem then.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Davey View Post
                        Glad you have got something out of it, and its probably enough.
                        Yeah it is enough. Just so glad that I got some audio. But I would like to go one better if possible.

Originally posted by Martin Davey View Post
                        The Din plugs I now use work with the Chinon are actually ones for video transfers where the DIN is at one end, and 4 rca composites are at the other, and I'm using the yellow video plug output!
                        I definitely have to get my hands on one of these.

So the best bet in this case would be this DIN to RCA adaptor cable.
                        Can you actually get video out of this plug as well or is it just some standard wiring and not useful in this situation and the yellow just has the audio because the projector wiring is different?​

Comment

As far as I remember this DIN connector is bi-directional connection. For audio application it means stereo input and stereo output (L in, R in, L out, R out), hence 4 RCA connector on the other end. NO video connection involved in this case for sure.
                          Although the color code here is standardized but can't remember which one is which at the moment. However it should be just a matter of trying it out one by one until you get it sorted out - shouldn't take more than just a few minutes.

Comment

Working...
                          X