8mm projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8mm projector

I have a bunch of 8mm (Blackhawk) silent movies and I would like to purchase a projector to show them. I will probably end up on ebay looking, as I am in the U.S.A. and most of the ads here are in the overseas. Could someone recommend a make/model that I should be on the look out for?

There are many silent movie projectors you can choose from online! It really depends on what kind of quality machine you are looking for. Plus, you must also think about what kind of service or work you're able to do yourself. 8mm and Super 8 projectors are well over 40 to 50 years old at this point, and many older than that. The good thing is most can be brought back to working order with a simple belt change, and some lubrication. The most robust projectors were made in the 50's, and through the end of the 60's. Machines from Eumig, Elmo, and Bolex are a good choice. If you're just watching silent regular 8 movies, the Bolex 18-5 is a good choice! However, these early machines use those older style bulbs, or spaceman bulbs that can be hard to find. But, I have found these bulbs usually last a very long time. The 18-5 uses a 50 watt bulb, but it's fairly bright on a 3 ft by 3 ft screen. Eumig made some very robust silent machines in the 60's. The Eumig P8 line of regular 8 projectors is known for high quality parts, and a good picture on screen. Below is a photo of a Eumig P8.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PR-0015-Eumig-P8-Automatic-Novo-1.webp
Views:	287
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	103536

Comment

Thanks Shane, I ended up choosing a BOLEX PAILLARD 18-5

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Hall View Post
        Thanks Shane, I ended up choosing a BOLEX PAILLARD 18-5

Awesome and good choice! If you need any help getting the belts replaced or other maintenance issues let me know! The 18-5 is a marvel of Swiss design and function! Paul Adsett is probably our biggest 18-5 fan on the forum! He wrote a review on this model way back in 2015 on the old forum. Here's a link to that report

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...c;f=1;t=009716
        Last edited by Shane C. Collins; July 18, 2024, 07:37 PM.

Comment

The projector arrived. I am used to more plastic ones made in the 1970's and this projector has me stunned with it's quality. This particular one is clean and looks like it was well taken care of. Very happy with this purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Hall View Post
            The projector arrived. I am used to more plastic ones made in the 1970's and this projector has me stunned with it's quality. This particular one is clean and looks like it was well taken care of. Very happy with this purchase.
            That projector looks to be in excellent condition Adam! I have this same semi auto-loading model, and it works great! I agree, the quality of these Bolex projectors is nothing like the later ones built in the 70's! For such a small footprint, it weighs a lot as you well know. In the early 60's when these were massed produced, buyers equated metal with quality. Certainly that holds true today. I like the ease of use when working on one of these units. The Super 8 version (18-5L Super) is of the same quality! The old expression, they don't make em like they used to, holds true with the 18-5! Other favorites are the twist-to-focus lens, and the rear sprung pressure plate. Enjoy that machine, it will outlast you, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post
              Enjoy that machine, it will outlast you, LOL.
              It's funny you say that, I thought the exact thing when I started using it. If I can find an equivalent LED bulb for it , I would imagine that would last as long as me too.

Comment

Hi Adam... You might want to check out this tech tip thread. I was able to convert my standard 8 mm and Super 8mm Bolex projectors to use a halogen bulb. There were a lot of good comments that may also give you some ideas to attempt your own conversion.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...c;f=1;t=012738

Comment

Working...
                X