Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8mm Film Shooting/Lighting Guides

Greetings friends!

Forgive me if I missed a thread somewhere that expands on this, but I thought it could be helpful to have a dedicated thread for people to post links of recommended books/videos/etc... on best practices for shooting and lighting on Super 8 film stocks.

I know I myself would welcome any books that would help improve my skills when trying to light for super 8.

Anyways, I hope this thread or another thread can be helpful to others!

Lincoln

My favorite book along these lines is "The Super-8 Book" by Lenny Lipton. -quite a guy! Also wrote the lyrics to Puff the Magic Dragon.

Here and there, it's now a little nostalgic: it has a lot of information about film stocks we don't have anymore and processes we don't generally follow like recording second system sound on full-coat and editing with a sync block, but it also has a lot of generally useful information on filmmaking with Super-8.

The section on projectors is really interesting because the machines he discusses are many of the same ones we use today. What's notable is the book was published Pre-GS1200, so the top up the ELMO hierarchy was ST-1200HD MO.

I bought mine so long ago that I picked it up at a Barnes and Noble in the local shopping mall, and I'm thinking I was still so young Mom or Dad drove there, but there are like five of 'em on eBay right now, fairly cheap.
    Last edited by Steve Klare; August 03, 2024, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I second what Steve has said here! The Lenny Lipton book is a must for any Super 8 film shooter! I've been shooting Super 8 since 2005, and refer to this book quite often!

Comment

Thanks friends! I found a copy at a reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
        X