Help - How to clean Eumig 710D sound head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - How to clean Eumig 710D sound head

Hello, I sometimes use a Eumig 710d. Great light output with a 1.1 lens.
    can anyone tell me how the hell do I clean the sound head. This one doesn't have any of getting at them other than completely up settings it

I don't know the 700 series very well, but maybe this can help:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...c;f=1;t=000254

(From what I'm seeing, there are a lot of similarities to the 800s.)

Comment

The 710D looks very similar to the 800 series.
      https://van-eck.net/img/itable/image...6858797126.JPG

Maurice

Comment

I have a 710D and an 810D very little difference mainly cosmetic. Colour and control knobs as far as I know.

Comment

Although I have always cleaned the sound heads on my Eumigs that I have purchased new, I have never once found them to actually need cleaning. I believe others at the old forum had reported the same over the years. They just seem to remain clean for some reason. I personally prefer the 700 series of machines over the 800 series for a number of reasons. The fact that you think the heads need cleaned seems to indicate you are having sound issues (muddy, muffled or soft). While it is certainly possible they could be caked with something, it would be far more likely that the heads are worn out. Eumig claimed they were good for only 200 hours of playback and the reason they have a plug-in connector to make changing them easier. I use a Eumig s709 which physically pulls and keeps the pressure pad off the soundtrack when the sound amplifier is turned off for silent film. I don't know why Eumig eliminated this feature when they moved to the 800 series. The traditional screw type focusing is much more accurate on the 700 series than the sloppy side knob focusing of the 800 machines. Anyway, good luck with your machine.

Comment

Hello, thanks for the reply, in my experience with all magnetic tape recording and playback machines , there is always some build up of oxide on the heads.

Comment

cleaning is allways a good first thing to do before digging in and replacing parts. i never have had one with bad sound heads altough they dont live very long (i said it before but projectors usually have low running hours before being put in storage for thirty years, so the sound heads rarely get to their 100 of 200 hour lifespan). a thing that really will affect you sound quality is a dirty record/play switch (the red one on the back, it is atached to a switch on the amplifier PCB) or dead capacitors in the amplifier.

Comment

Thanks, this one has just deleloped s strange noise, almost like a metallic Russel.
                I only use it for STD 8 and unfortunately most of my sound film is

Comment

Working...
                X